- n the income or profit arising from such transactions as the sale of land or other property
- n the act of photographing a scene or part of a scene without interruption
- v carry out
- v require (time or space)
- v take somebody somewhere
can you take me to the main entrance?
- v get into one's hands, take physically
Can you take this bag, please
- v take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
- v interpret something in a certain way; convey a particular meaning or impression
How should I take this message?
You can't take credit for this!
- v take something or somebody with oneself somewhere
- v take into one's possession
I'll take three salmon steaks
- v travel or go by means of a certain kind of transportation, or a certain route
He takes the bus to work
She takes Route 1 to Newark
- v pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives
- v receive willingly something given or offered
- v assume, as of positions or roles
- v take into consideration for exemplifying purposes
- v require as useful, just, or proper
It takes nerve to do what she did
- v experience or feel or submit to
- v make a film or photograph of something
take a scene
- v remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract
take the gun from your pocket
- v serve oneself to, or consume regularly
I don't take sugar in my coffee
- v accept or undergo, often unwillingly
- v make use of or accept for some purpose
take a risk
take an opportunity
- v take by force
- v occupy or take on
- v admit into a group or community
- v ascertain or determine by measuring, computing or take a reading from a dial
take a pulse
A reading was taken of the earth's tremors
- v be a student of a certain subject
- v take as an undesirable consequence of some event or state of affairs
- v head into a specified direction
- v point or cause to go (blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment) towards
- v be seized or affected in a specified way
be taken drunk
- v have with oneself; have on one's person
She always takes an umbrella
- v engage for service under a term of contract
Shall we take a guide in Rome?
- v receive or obtain regularly
We take the Times every day
- v buy, select
I'll take a pound of that sausage
- v to get into a position of having, e.g., safety, comfort
take shelter from the storm
- v have sex with; archaic use
He had taken this woman when she was most vulnerable
- v lay claim to; as of an idea
- v be designed to hold or take
This surface will not take the dye
- v be capable of holding or containing
This box won't take all the items
- v develop a habit
- v proceed along in a vehicle
- v obtain by winning
Winner takes all
- v be stricken by an illness, fall victim to an illness
- I take 1000 mg of concentrated fish oil and 300 mg of Omega 3 (3x daily).
- The WH should take a page out of Barney Frank's book and stop trying to have conversations with dining room tables, esp.
News & Articles
- Take Flight Inc., Will Now Offer Speed and Agility Training for Athletes of All Ages!
Take Flight is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit founded in 2009 our mission is to provide comprehensive support, skills, and leadership for young people to reach their full potential and achieve success. Take Flight also provides tutoring services, mentoring, and coaching to empower young people to be successful. (PRWeb July 01, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/TakeFlight ...
July 1, 2013 - PRWeb
- Take necessary precautions when running in the heat
When running in the heat, the most important factor is to remember to take it easy. Even the most well-conditioned athletes have to be careful, although the more fit a person is, the better that person can cope with running in hot weather. Even...
July 1, 2013 - The Salisbury Post
- Take the Super Quiz
Take the Super Quiz Take the Super Quiz Take this Super Quiz to a Ph.D. Score 1 point for each correct answer on the Freshman Level, 2 points on the Graduate Level and 3 points on the Ph.D. Name the only noncontiguous U.S. state on continental North America. 4. What island is famous for its monumental statues called moai? What is the southernmost capital city in the Americas? What was the first ...
June 30, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- LeBron James in CNBC
This fall, and it's very tough,James said to a national TV audience. "I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat."
- Dwyane Wade in Technorati (blog)
I'm happy Micky Arison is my owner. I couldn't believe it. I'm speechless. It's very unfortunate and I think it makes LeBron that much better about his decision. We knew 'Bron would take some backlash,Wade added in his interview with AP....
- Barack Obama in San Francisco Chronicle
I take my share of the blame for not explaining it more clearly to the American people,Obama said. "I know that with all the lobbying and horse-trading, the process left most Americans wondering, 'What's in it for me?' "