- n document giving the tax collector information about the taxpayer's tax liability
his gross income was enough that he had to file a tax return
- n a coming to or returning home
on his return from Australia we gave him a welcoming party
- n the occurrence of a change in direction back in the opposite direction
- n getting something back again
- n the act of going back to a prior location
they set out on their return to the base camp
- n the income or profit arising from such transactions as the sale of land or other property
the average return was about 5%
- n happening again (especially at regular intervals)
the return of spring
- n a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one)
- n the key on electric typewriters or computer keyboards that causes a carriage return and a line feed
- n a reciprocal group action
in return we gave them as good as we got
- n a tennis stroke that sends the ball back to the other player
he won the point on a cross-court return
- n (American football) the act of running back the ball after a kickoff or punt or interception or fumble
- n the act of someone appearing again
- v go or come back to place, condition, or activity where one has been before
return to your native land
the professor returned to his teaching position after serving as Dean
- v give back
- v go back to a previous state
- v go back to something earlier
- v bring back to the point of departure
- v return in kind
return a compliment
return her love
- v make a return
return a kickback
- v answer back
- v be restored
Her old vigor returned
- v pay back
- v pass down
- v elect again
- v be inherited by
The land returned to the family
- v return to a previous position; in mathematics
The point returned to the interior of the figure
- v give or supply
- v submit (a report, etc.) to someone in authority
- The return to Africa, says View, "is a way of acknowledging our survival in North America and our ability to come back.
- STEVE GOBIE The former male prostitute and companion of Congressman Barney Frank has quietly returned to Capitol Hill: he now works as a bike courier delivering mail around.
- Who stands to benefit from Michael Jordan's return, and who doesn't.
News & Articles
- Residents anxious to return to Colorado fire zone
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — With evacuees anxious to return, firefighters worked Sunday to dig up and extinguish hot spots to protect homes spared by the most destructive wildfire in Colorado's history.
June 16, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Cueto Solid in Return, Lifts Reds Over Brewers 5-1
Johnny Cueto pitched six solid innings in his return to Cincinnati's rotation and Jay Bruce homered to lift the Reds to a 5-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers on Sunday.
June 16, 2013 - New York Times
- A Return Deferred: Derrick Rose to Play This Summer?
COMMENTARY | It's not "The Return" that fans so anxiously anticipated all NBA season long, but it looks as though Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose may be ready to play competitive basketball at last. Problem is, there are only three games left in the season (at most) and the Bulls will not be participating in any of them. So, if Rose is looking to play games against NBA-level talent ...
June 15, 2013 - Yahoo! Contributor Network via Yahoo! Sports
- President Bush in CNN International
The principle guiding my decisions on troop levels in Iraq is 'return on success' -- the more successful we are, the more American troops can return home,Bush said during a 17-minute prime-time address from the Oval Office. "In all we do,...
- Gordon Brown in AFP
I was both angry and I was repulsed by the reception of a convicted bomber guilty of a huge terrorist crime received on his return to Libya,Brown told reporters. "When I met (Libyan leader) Colonel (Moamer) Kadhafi over the summer I made...
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
It's going to take time for things to return to normal,Obama said after touring a staging facility in Theodore, Alabama. "But I promise you this: things are going to return to normal."