- n a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one)
- n a vessel where substances are distilled or decomposed by heat
- v answer back
- Il Duce Benito Mussolini has never been one to bow to mass opinion, nor is he above giving the retort discourteous to those who dare criticize his actions.
- For a man who normally is the very embodiment of decorum, Juan Carlos' retort to the Venezuelan president "Why don't you shut up?" seemed shockingly uncharacteristic.
- Sebire and her backers retort that preventing her from getting medical assistance to end her life swiftly and painlessly ensures months or years of additional torment from pain.
News & Articles
- Uneasy peace between Garcia and Tiger at U.S. Open
Their reactions in the wake of Garcia's offensive remark perfectly underscore their personalities. — In retrospect, Tiger Woods whiffed on his chance for a perfect retort to Sergio Garcia's fried chicken remark.
June 12, 2013 - The Morning Call
- NBA Finals 2013: Complete Betting Odds and Preview for Game 3
The Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs are making preparations for what should be a critical Game 3 of 2013 NBA Finals . With the series tied up following the Spurs’ shocking Game 1 victory and the Heat’s strong retort in Game 2, the action now shifts to San Antonio for the rubber match. Expect both sides to come out strong and give their best performances, with the Spurs having a slight edge—due ...
June 11, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Podcast: What Is Jurgen Wearing?
Matt Futterman joins the Sports Retort to preview the U.S. men’s soccer game vs. Panama. Plus, taking shots at the French Open and San Antonio Spurs.
June 10, 2013 - Wall Street Journal Blogs
- Donna Brazile in Washington Post
Clinton needs to deliver one solid retort to an attack on her character,Brazile said. "She must make her Democratic opponents look desperate and the GOP as out of the mainstream and in tatters. Honestly, she has every chance to look...
- Lee Terry in Computerworld
It becomes carte blanche just to put [a project] anywhere, and it's going to meet the definition,said Rep. Lee Terry (R-Neb.) "The retort was, 'this money needs to get out.' It isn't really about a comprehensive broadband policy, it was...
- David Stern in USA Today
That's a fair retort, but you have to make your choice,Stern said.