- n public transport provided by a line of railway cars coupled together and drawn by a locomotive
express trains don't stop at Princeton Junction
- n a sequentially ordered set of things or events or ideas in which each successive member is related to the preceding
train of mourners
a train of thought
- n a procession (of wagons or mules or camels) traveling together in single file
they joined the wagon train for safety
- n a series of consequences wrought by an event
it led to a train of disasters
- n piece of cloth forming the long back section of a gown that is drawn along the floor
the bride's train was carried by her two young nephews
- n wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed
the fool got his tie caught in the geartrain
- v create by training and teaching
The old master is training world-class violinists
- v undergo training or instruction in preparation for a particular role, function, or profession
She is training to be a teacher
He trained as a legal aid
- v develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control
Is this dog trained?
- v educate for a future role or function
They trained him to be a warrior
- v teach or refine to be discriminative in taste or judgment
- v point or cause to go (blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment) towards
He trained his gun on the burglar
Don't train your camera on the women
- v teach and supervise (someone); act as a trainer or coach (to), as in sports
He is training our Olympic team
- v exercise in order to prepare for an event or competition
She is training for the Olympics
- v cause to grow in a certain way by tying and pruning it
train the vine
- v travel by rail or train
She trained to Hamburg
- v drag loosely along a surface; allow to sweep the ground
She trained her long scarf behind her
- He kept repeating, "This train is not going anywhere for some time.
- As dawn broke, a thick mist rolled across the pastureland around the Dutch hamlet of De Punt, enveloping the motionless yellow train.
- In a city where unwanted physical contact on crowded trains is rampant, Tokyo's first Groping Prevention Week tries a new tactic to tackle the ongoing challenge of making .
News & Articles
- Train Derailed By Derailed Train
Protip: When trying to get a derailed train out of a ditch, don't pull it with another train. It isn't a good idea. This is how they get a derailed train out of a ditch in Brazil. Well, I should say it's how they try to get one out of a ditch. Trains are strong, but apparently they aren't strong enough to pull other trains out of precarious positions. As of press time, the workers on site were ...
June 13, 2013 - Jalopnik
- Train hits tractor carrying toxic chemicals
An Amtrak train collided with a tractor hauling toxic chemicals in Indiana.
June 13, 2013 - FOX 19 Cincinnati
- Argentine train wreck kills 3, injures hundreds
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — One commuter train slammed into another that had stopped between stations during the morning commute Thursday in suburban Buenos Aires, killing three passengers and injuring more than 300 on a line that has been under government control since a crash last year killed 51 people.
June 13, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Antonio Villaraigosa in Sydney Morning Herald
The latest figures that we have is, there's somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 to 15 fatalities,Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told reporters. "That's probably the most serious train wreck to occur here in a very long time."
- Zhang Jun in FOXNews
I suddenly felt the train, like a roller coaster, topple ...... to one side and all the way to the other side. When it finally went off the tracks, many people fell on me,Zhang said.
- Oleg Gordievsky in The Canadian Press
I understand the resources they have, and how many people they can train and send to other countries,Gordievsky said. "It is possible there may be more now, but not many more, and no more than 60 (couples)."