discipline : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a branch of knowledge
in what discipline is his doctorate?
- n a system of rules of conduct or method of practice;
he quickly learned the discipline of prison routine
for such a plan to work requires discipline
- n the trait of being well behaved
he insisted on discipline among the troops
- n training to improve strength or self-control
- n the act of punishing
the offenders deserved the harsh discipline they received
- v develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control
Parents must discipline their children
- v punish in order to gain control or enforce obedience
The teacher disciplined the pupils rather frequently
- The school-discipline picture is even cloudier.
- That discipline and training kept me going.
- When an applicant joins the New York Stock Exchange, he must agree to submit to such penalties for discipline as its authorities may impose, even to the point of expulsion from .
News & Articles
- Meridian schools working on discipline issues
Meridian schools working on discipline issues (AP) — The Meridian School Board is rewriting the school's system discipline policies to end what the Justice Department called discriminatory disciplinary practices in which black students face harsher punishment than whites for similar misbehavior. A lengthy federal investigation that found that black public school students there are five times ...
June 13, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- No discipline yet from league office
Major League Baseball held off issuing the expected fines and suspensions following Tuesday nightâ€™s Dodgers-Arizona Diamondbacks melee, but itâ€™s doubtful that any sort of discipline is going to quiet the bad feelings.
June 13, 2013 - Fox Sports
- Soccer-New CSKA coach Stoichkov promises discipline
SOFIA, June 12 (Reuters) - New CSKA Sofia coach Hristo Stoichkov is determined to instil hard work and discipline and limit the use of mobile phones and social networking at his former club, he said on Wednesday. "I can promise the fans discipline," Stoichkov told reporters at the Bulgarska Armiya stadium where he was officially presented. "It'll be more difficult for the players during the week ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Roger Goodell in New York Times
I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick,Goodell wrote. "I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft...
- Barack Obama in Detroit Free Press
It is shameful,Obama said from the Oval Office. "And part of what we're going to need is for the folks on Wall Street who are asking for help to show some restraint, and show some discipline, and show some sense of responsibility."
- President Bush in International Herald Tribune
I strongly believe Congress needs to listen to a budget which says no tax increase and a budget, because of fiscal discipline, that can be balanced in five years,Bush told reporters after meeting with his Cabinet.