field : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed
he planted a field of wheat
- n a region where a battle is being (or has been) fought
they made a tour of Civil War battlefields
- n somewhere (away from a studio or office or library or laboratory) where practical work is done or data is collected
anthropologists do much of their work in the field
- n a branch of knowledge
- n the space around a radiating body within which its electromagnetic oscillations can exert force on another similar body not in contact with it
- n a particular kind of commercial enterprise
they are outstanding in their field
- n a particular environment or walk of life
- n a piece of land prepared for playing a game
the home crowd cheered when Princeton took the field
- n extensive tract of level open land
he longed for the fields of his youth
- n (mathematics) a set of elements such that addition and multiplication are commutative and associative and multiplication is distributive over addition and there are two elements 0 and 1
the set of all rational numbers is a field
- n a region in which active military operations are in progress
the army was in the field awaiting action
- n all of the horses in a particular horse race
- n all the competitors in a particular contest or sporting event
- n a geographic region (land or sea) under which something valuable is found
the diamond fields of South Africa
- n (computer science) a set of one or more adjacent characters comprising a unit of information
- n the area that is visible (as through an optical instrument)
- n a place where planes take off and land
- v catch or pick up (balls) in baseball or cricket
- v play as a fielder
- v answer adequately or successfully
The lawyer fielded all questions from the press
- v select (a team or individual player) for a game
The Buckeyes fielded a young new quarterback for the Rose Bowl
- Californian overproduction, said he, exists chiefly in the Kettleman Hills field, "owned by strong people .
- The game has changed a lot since the days when a field goal was worth five points and a touchdown only two.
- The current generates a magnetic field around the wire that pushes against the field of the magnet.
News & Articles
- Chapel Field Christian High School graduation
Chapel Field Christian High School graduates gather and pause for prayer before the start of their commencement in Pine Bush on Saturday.
June 16, 2013 - Middletown Times Herald-Record
- Field day planned for dairy farmers
The first University of Missouri Extension Dairy Field Day is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Thursday at the University of Missouri Southwest Research Center located on Highway H south of Mount Vernon.
June 16, 2013 - The Springfield News-Leader
- Kyle Field's planned expansion will boost capacity to 109,000 for 2014 season
Kyle Field's planned expansion will boost capacity to 109,000 for 2014 season Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 3:09 pm, Friday, June 14, 2013 Aggies and their friends have been buzzing for months about the planned expansion of Kyle Field, the stadium in College Station ...
June 14, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- Roger Goodell in San Francisco Chronicle
This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,Goodell wrote.
- Ken Kendrick in SI.com
In a statement issued Thursday night, Arizona managing partner Ken Kendrick called the firings "a significant decision, but one that we find necessary in order to achieve a direction of winning consistently on the field again."
- Jake Peavy in Chicago Sun-Times
Obviously, I didn't want to say too much [Tuesday] night, but I knew something was wrong with me,Peavy said. "When I walked off the field, I told you guys from the get-go, if you see me not take the post or walk off the field as I did...