gear : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion
- n wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed
the fool got his tie caught in the geartrain
- n a mechanism for transmitting motion for some specific purpose (as the steering gear of a vehicle)
- n equipment consisting of miscellaneous articles needed for a particular operation or sport etc.
- v set the level or character of
- The duffle bag contained scuba diving gear.
- The car audio section helps shoppers find the best gear for their own make and model.
- FORWARD TILT Just as IBM exits the market, other computer manufacturers like Hewlett-Packard are eager to sell more networking gear.
- AntÃ³nio SimÃµes in The Canadian Press
One of the guys pointed a hand gun at my head, and then they took all my gear - cameras, lenses, laptop,said Simoes, who works for the Portuguese daily O Jogo.
- Barack Obama in The Hill
Because of the steps we have taken, this plant is about to shift into higher gear. One hundred and fifty of your coworkers came back to work yesterday,Obama said to applause.