deal : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a particular instance of buying or selling
it was a package deal
he's a master of the business deal
- n an agreement between parties (usually arrived at after discussion) fixing obligations of each
he rose to prominence through a series of shady deals
- n (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
a deal of trouble
- n a plank of softwood (fir or pine board)
- n wood that is easy to saw (from conifers such as pine or fir)
- n the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time
- n the type of treatment received (especially as the result of an agreement)
he got a good deal on his car
- n the act of distributing playing cards
the deal was passed around the table clockwise
- n the act of apportioning or distributing something
the captain was entrusted with the deal of provisions
- v act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression
This book deals with incest
- v take into consideration for exemplifying purposes
- v take action with respect to (someone or something)
How are we going to deal with this problem?
The teacher knew how to deal with these lazy students
- v come to terms with
- v administer or bestow, as in small portions
deal a blow to someone
- v do business; offer for sale as for one's livelihood
She deals in gold
- v be in charge of, act on, or dispose of
I can deal with this crew of workers
- v behave in a certain way towards others
He deals fairly with his employees
- v distribute cards to the players in a game
- v direct the course of; manage or control
- v give out as one's portion or share
- v give (a specific card) to a player
He dealt me the Queen of Spades
- v sell
- Opponents of the deal are able to play the 911 card because the FBI has said money for the attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Center were transferred to hijackers through the .
- Despite complaints from the left, House Speaker Pelosi felt she won enough concessions on Bush's domestic surveillance powers to make the new deal a political win.
- A bipartisan immigration-reform deal fell apart last week, delaying plans for illegal immigrants.
News & Articles
- Deal of the Week: Building sheds '80s look, joins 21st century
Deal of the Week: Building sheds '80s look, joins 21st century Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 7:56 pm, Sunday, June 16, 2013 Among the other improvements: skylights in the atrium; a pedestrian entry from the garage; upgraded finishes, furniture and graphics throughout ...
June 16, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- Deal of the Day – 30? Dell U3014 UltraSharp 2560 x 1600 LED-backlit IPS LCD monitor
Saturday’s LogicBUY Deal is the 30? Dell UltraSharp U3014 for $1,147.49. Features: Anti-glare screen with 1000:1 typical contrast ratio, 350nit brightness, 6ms grey-to-grey response time 99% Adobe RGB color gamut 178-degree viewing angle DC power connector for Dell Soundbar (AX510) Four-port USB 3.0 hub, DisplayPort 1.2, mini-DisplayPort 1.2, DVI-DL (HDCP), HDMI 3-Year Advanced Exchange Service ...
June 15, 2013 - The Gadgeteer
- Deal-breaker for The Pixies
Just as no one saw The Replacements reunion coming, no one saw this going down: Kim Deal has suddenly left those other alt-rock icons, The Pixies . And it appears the band is going to carry on without her.
June 15, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Barack Obama in Wall Street Journal
He called last year's bull market, remember, saying in March of 2009, "What you're now seeing is profit-and-earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal," whereupon stocks promptly embarked on...
- President Bush in Times Online
Some say the gains we are making in Iraq come too late,Mr Bush said. "They are mistaken. It is never too late to deal a blow to al-Qaeda. It is never too late to advance freedom. And it is never too late to support our troops in a fight...
- Philipp Lahm in The Associated Press
We have to concentrate on our own game,said defender Philipp Lahm, Germany's captain. "They are temperamental, we'll see how they deal with defeat on Saturday. They are impulsive, temperamental and they don't know how to lose."