- v consider or hold as true
I cannot accept the dogma of this church
accept an argument
- v receive willingly something given or offered
Please accept my present
- v give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to
I cannot accept your invitation
- v react favorably to; consider right and proper
People did not accept atonal music at that time
We accept the idea of universal health care
- v admit into a group or community
accept students for graduate study
- v take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person
I'll accept the charges
- v tolerate or accommodate oneself to
I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions
- v be designed to hold or take
- v receive (a report) officially, as from a committee
- v make use of or accept for some purpose
- v be sexually responsive to, used of a female domesticated mammal
The cow accepted the bull
- Many recruiters won't even accept CVs with photos attached for fear of lawsuits.
- Maybe we accept things as they are because poverty has always been with us and we think nothing will change.
- Despite Tehran's insistence it will not negotiate its disputed nuclear program, the Obama administration says it and five partner nations have accepted Iran's offer to hold talks.
- Barack Obama in New Republic (blog)
As he said in his Cairo speech, "The US does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements. This construction violates previous agreements and undermines efforts to achieve peace. It is time for these settlements to stop."
- Sonia Sotomayor in Atlantic Online
So when Sotomayor says things like this -- "I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage" -- it's very easy to label her an scourge of identity...
- Andy Pettitte in BBC News
I accept responsibility for those two days. If what I did was an error in judgment, I apologise,Pettitte said. "I was on the disabled list, and I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow. I felt an...