- v take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof
I assume his train was late
- v take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities
When will the new President assume office?
- v take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
She assumed strange manners
The gods assume human or animal form in these fables
- v take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person
- v occupy or take on
He assumes the lotus position
- v seize and take control without authority and possibly with force; take as one's right or possession
He assumed to himself the right to fill all positions in the town
- v make a pretence of
She assumed indifference, even though she was seething with anger
- v take up someone's soul into heaven
This is the day when May was assumed into heaven
- v put clothing on one's body
The queen assumed the stately robes
- I know now that the book was blithe and stupid, but I think many people, gay and straight, assume gay men are worse at maintaining relationships than straight people are.
- They assume that maybe I have something against them, but they really don't have any reason to think that.
- Al-Faruq said that, despite his arrest, backup operatives were in place to "assume responsibilities to carry out operations as planned.
News & Articles
- Audi Sees New A3 Sedan as Best-Selling Version of Model
“We assume every second A3 customer will opt for the sedan in the future,” Josef Schlossmacher , an Audi spokesman, told journalists late yesterday in Budapest before a ceremony today at the manufacturer’s plant in Gyor, Hungary, marking the start of the new sedan’s production.
June 12, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Cranberry League: Sox red hot (10-0) so far
They have continued to assume their rightful place at the top of the Cranberry Baseball League standings. No, we are not talking about the Boston Red Sox, who have been in first place in the American East League standings, but your own Braintree White Sox.
June 12, 2013 - Braintree Forum
- Ohio State Football: Can the Buckeyes Have Another Perfect Season in 2013?
It's safe to assume that very few people thought the 2012 Ohio State Buckeyes would have a perfect record. If they don't this year, at least based on what the people in Las Vegas think, it may be a disappointment. The Golden Nugget Casino has the Buckeyes favored in all 12 of their regular season games , including being a 6-point favorite in their road clash with the Wolverines. That's nothing ...
June 12, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Liam Fox in Global Times
Fox said the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force would restructure its op-erations in southern Afghanistan "so that it can consolidate a US Marine brigade in northern Helmand that will assume responsibility for security in Sangin later...
- John Cornyn in The Associated Press
And asked outright whether Kagan was going to win confirmation, another Judiciary Committee Republican, Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, replied, "I assume she will be."
- Barack Obama in AFP
The notion that any questions about her work in Alaska is somehow not relevant to her potentially being vice president of the United States doesn't make too much sense to me,Obama said. "I think she's got a compelling story, but I assume...