- v seize and take control without authority and possibly with force; take as one's right or possession
he usurped my rights
- v take the place of
gloom had usurped mirth at the party after the news of the terrorist act broke
- Giving arguments against euthanasia opposers say that what God gives only he can take away, and to usurp that right is an act of grave hubris.
- Twitter LinkedIn Facebook y a few years ago, Hong Kong was gripped by panic that the rapidly ascending Chinese city of Shanghai was set to usurp its coveted position as China's .
- But I can assure you this: the monarchy is not going to allow anyone to usurp the fundamental rights of the people, and those who say they represent the people must learn to lead .
News & Articles
- LeBron James Gets Set To Slam-Dunk Mark Cuban
Even if the Miami Heat lose to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA finals and fail to capture their second consecutive title, the Heat will undoubtedly soon usurp the Dallas Mavericks as the league's fifth-most valuable team.
June 11, 2013 - Forbes
- Ahmad Bradshaw, Indianapolis Colts strike contract
Ahmad Bradshaw and the Indianapolis Colts struck a one-year contract Tuesday, Ian Rapoport reports. Will the former New York Giants running back usurp Vick Ballard for starting duties?
June 11, 2013 - NFL.com
- Ahmad Bradshaw, Indianapolis Colts agree to contract
Ahmad Bradshaw and the Indianapolis Colts agreed on a one-year contract Tuesday, Ian Rapoport reports. Will the former New York Giants running back usurp Vick Ballard for starting duties?
June 11, 2013 - NFL.com
- John Dingell in Washington Post
In a letter, Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wrote, "It would be extremely inappropriate for the Federal Communications Commission to take action that would exceed the agency's authority and usurp congressional prerogative to reform the cable television...
- Nechirvan Barzani in Forbes
But Kurdish Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani said the deals were "not an attempt to usurp the nation's oil resources" but rather to make "these valuable resources work for the people of Iraq."
- Mitt Romney in ABC News
A decision not to vote is a decision to usurp the Constitution, to abandon democracy and substitute a form of what this nation's founders called tyranny, that is, the imposition of the will of those in power, on the people,Romney said...