- v take hold of; grab
The sales clerk quickly seized the money on the counter
The mother seized her child by the arm
Birds of prey often seize small mammals
- v take or capture by force
The terrorists seized the politicians
The rebels threaten to seize civilian hostages
- v take possession of by force, as after an invasion
the invaders seized the land and property of the inhabitants
The army seized the town
- v take temporary possession of as a security, by legal authority
The FBI seized the drugs
- v seize and take control without authority and possibly with force; take as one's right or possession
She seized control of the throne after her husband died
- v hook by a pull on the line
- v affect
Fear seized the prisoners
The patient was seized with unbearable pains
He was seized with a dreadful disease
- v capture the attention or imagination of
The movie seized my imagination
- The Chechens who dared seize a theater in Russia's capital are put down, but their cause is on center stage.
- The timing chains broke, the aluminum heads warped like mad, the main bearings would seize and the water pump would poop the bed ka-POW! Oh, that piston through the bonnet, that .
- When police tried to seize an African at the gate to the compound, there was a scuffle and the crowd advanced toward the fence.
- Benjamin Netanyahu in TIME
I believe that Prime Minister Netanyahu wants peace. I think he's willing to take risks for peace...... Now more than ever I think is the time for us to seize on that vision. And I think that Prime Minister Netanyahu is prepared to do so...... We... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA Ha'aretz http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/obama-mideast-peace-possible-but-israel-is-right-to-be-skeptical-1.300793&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFTbCMoT43CvQ2kZjku_DvDeJMoEQ Jul 8, 2010
87572 117045 seize I think we should seize the moment ...... when we have the ability to negotiate a peace," Netanyahu said.
- Glenn Miller in Nassau Guardian
Our teams are down there trying to seize him,he said. "He's not in custody as yet, but we're following several leads and we're working with the Abaco community to try and find him. Hopefully we should find him."