- v take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof
- v take upon oneself; act presumptuously, without permission
- v constitute reasonable evidence for
A restaurant bill presumes the consumption of food
- v take liberties or act with too much confidence
- The Persian news bulletin, I presume, is based on an earlier ballot count, maybe 30 minutes earlier, the count 80-90 minutes after the polls closed.
- But to dismiss Winehouse as just another train wreck is to presume that she has no idea she's off the rails, and this distinction matters when considering how to feel about her.
- But there are some movies that, in the middle of the story or later, take turns, make strange twists, as if to say, like that new acquaintance, Don't presume you know me.
News & Articles
- The Fed's QE Schemes Have Raised, Not Lowered, T-Bond Yields
A large majority of market commentators has attributed the recent, sharp rise in the 10-year U.S. T-Bond yield – from 1.63% in early May to 2.20% this week – to growing expectations that the Federal Reserve will be “tapering” its “quantitative easing” (QE) programs. These commentators presume, of course, that QEs actually reduce T-Bond yields. After all, they insist, when the Fed buys billions ...
June 13, 2013 - Forbes
- OUR OPINION: NSA appears too lax in its own security systems
Both Snowden and Manning had egos, or else an exceptional ability to rationalize, that evidently allowed them to presume that it was solely up to them to inform the American people what the U.S. government was doing in their name.
June 12, 2013 - The San Angelo Standard-Times
- Presume named to CFPA Watch List
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - College Football Performance Awards, the largest awards organization in Division I college football, has named SIU linebacker Bryan Presume to its watch list for the 2013 CFPA Linebacker Award.
June 10, 2013 - The Southern Illinoisan
- Patrick Leahy in The Associated Press
I believe the fair-minded people will find her philosophy well within the legal mainstream,said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., the panel's chairman. "I welcome questions but urge senators on both sides to be fair. No one should presume that...
- Barack Obama in Kansas City Star
You know, if you have something that just directly contradicts the facts and it's coming from a former president, I think that'sa problem because people presume that a former president is going to have more credibility,Obama said. "And I...
- Mike Huckabee in FOXNews
I don't presume that you will support me because of a common faith,Huckabee told them. "I know that I have to earn that. But I also recognize this is a unique opportunity. For a long time, those of us who are people of faith have been...