- v choose and follow; as of theories, ideas, policies, strategies or plans
- v take up and practice as one's own
- v take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities
- v take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
he adopted an air of superiority
- v take into one's family
They adopted two children from Nicaragua
- v put into dramatic form
adopt a book for a screenplay
- v take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own
They adopted the Jewish faith
- As more Chinese are adopting and with new restrictions in place on which foreigners can adopt, American adoption of Chinese children has dropped by half in the past three years.
- Now Seeley can legally adopt Allen's biological daughter Amelia, 2, and Allen can adopt Seeley's adopted son Foster, 1, and this ability to become more like other families delights .
- The battle between Woody Allen and Mia Farrow spotlights the triumphs and traumas of large adoptive families.
News & Articles
- Adopt a Summit County cat in June
June is Adopt a Shelter Cat month at the Summit County Animal Shelter. While many Summit County residents enjoy their canine companions, there is much to be said for felines. Although most cats come across as “stand-offish” when they need alone time, they make good pets.
June 12, 2013 - Summit Daily News
- Adopt wild horses, burros this weekend
The opportunity to adopt a wild horse or burro comes this week as the Bureau of Land Management and Napa Valley Horsemen's Association host Napa Mustang Days at the Napa Horsemen's Association Grounds, 1200 Foster Road, in Napa.
June 12, 2013 - The Vacaville Reporter
- June Is Adopt A Cat Month At The Twin Falls Animal Shelter
Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV ) June is national adopt a cat month and the Twin Falls Animal Shelter is asking for your help.
June 12, 2013 - KMVT Twin Falls
- Virgil Goode in USA Today
Goode added: "I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of...
- Benjamin Netanyahu in Aysor
And I urge other leaders to follow the President's lead and other countries to follow the US lead, to adopt much tougher sanctions against Iran, primarily those directed against its energy sector,he added.
- Barack Obama in The Korea Herald
They (the Chinese) have a security interest in not seeing complete chaos on the Korean Peninsula ...... So when they adopt a posture of restraint, I understand their thinking,he told reporters. "But I think there's a difference between...