- n the act of applying force to propel something
after reaching the desired velocity the drive is cut off
- n a mechanism by which force or power is transmitted in a machine
a variable speed drive permitted operation through a range of speeds
- n a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end
the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant
- n a road leading up to a private house
they parked in the driveway
- n the trait of being highly motivated
his drive and energy exhausted his co-workers
- n hitting a golf ball off of a tee with a driver
he sliced his drive out of bounds
- n the act of driving a herd of animals overland
- n a journey in a vehicle (usually an automobile)
he took the family for a drive in his new car
- n a physiological state corresponding to a strong need or desire
- n (computer science) a device that writes data onto or reads data from a storage medium
- n a wide scenic road planted with trees
the riverside drive offers many exciting scenic views
- n (sports) a hard straight return (as in tennis or squash)
- v operate or control a vehicle
drive a car or bus
Can you drive this four-wheel truck?
- v travel or be transported in a vehicle
- v cause someone or something to move by driving
- v force into or from an action or state, either physically or metaphorically
He drives me mad
- v to compel or force or urge relentlessly or exert coercive pressure on, or motivate strongly
She is driven by her passion
- v cause to move back by force or influence
- v compel somebody to do something, often against his own will or judgment
- v push, propel, or press with force
- v cause to move rapidly by striking or throwing with force
drive the ball far out into the field
- v strive and make an effort to reach a goal
- v move into a desired direction of discourse
- v have certain properties when driven
My new truck drives well
- v work as a driver
He drives a bread truck
She drives for the taxi company in Newark
- v move by being propelled by a force
- v urge forward
drive the cows into the barn
- v proceed along in a vehicle
We drive the turnpike to work
- v strike with a driver, as in teeing off
drive a golf ball
- v hit very hard, as by swinging a bat horizontally
drive a ball
- v excavate horizontally
drive a tunnel
- v cause to function by supplying the force or power for or by controlling
The amplifier drives the tube
steam drives the engines
this device drives the disks for the computer
- v hunting: search for game
drive the forest
- v hunting: chase from cover into more open ground
drive the game
- In Las Vegas, you can get cash, booze, even a wedding license at a drive-through, so why not a flu shot? With a record 140 million flu vaccinations expected to be administered this .
- The PS3 thinks locally it handles content best when it's on its hard drive, or on a disc in its drive, or on a memory card or USB keychain that's plugged in directly.
- Although it couples two of America's greatest passions, cars and movies, the drive-in theater has seen its share of problems.
News & Articles
- Drive-by shooting near 26th, I-135 injures one
One person was hurt in a drive-by shooting early Friday morning in Wichita, authorities said.
June 21, 2013 - The Wichita Eagle
- Blood drive planned at Chester First Aid Building on Saturday, June 29
CHESTER – A blood drive is planned for 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, June 29, at the Chester First Aid building, 100 North Road.
June 21, 2013 - Observer-Tribune
- Blood drive and derby race to honor Mark Howard
Decatur – A memorial blood drive and pinewood derby race is set for Saturday.
June 21, 2013 - WAND TV 17 Decatur
- Richard Clark in Wall Street Journal
These changes are crucial to drive future growth and realize the promise of being a global health care leader for the long term,Chairman and Chief Executive Richard T. Clark said in a press release.
- Mark Hughes in guardian.co.uk
It is terrific news,City manager Mark Hughes told the official club website. "Carlos is an international player of the highest class who possesses all the attributes that will help drive this club forward. He is not only outstanding...
- Rod Blagojevich in New York Times
I'm going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain,Mr. Blagojevich said in a recorded conversation with an adviser, according to the affidavit.