push : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the act of applying force in order to move something away
he gave the door a hard push
the pushing is good exercise
- n the force used in pushing
the push of the water on the walls of the tank
- n enterprising or ambitious drive
- n an electrical switch operated by pressing
the elevator was operated by push buttons
the push beside the bed operated a buzzer at the desk
- n an effort to advance
the army made a push toward the sea
- v move with force, "He pushed the table into a corner"
- v press, drive, or impel (someone) to action or completion of an action
He pushed her to finish her doctorate
- v make publicity for; try to sell (a product)
The salesman is aggressively pushing the new computer model
- v strive and make an effort to reach a goal
We have to push a little to make the deadline!
- v press against forcefully without moving
she pushed against the wall with all her strength
- v approach a certain age or speed
She is pushing fifty
- v exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
The liberal party pushed for reforms
The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate
- v sell or promote the sale of (illegal goods such as drugs)
The guy hanging around the school is pushing drugs
- v move strenuously and with effort
The crowd pushed forward
- v make strenuous pushing movements during birth to expel the baby
`Now push hard,' said the doctor to the woman
- House liberals pleaded with President Barack Obama on Friday to push for creation of a government-run health care program as the Senate's chief negotiator said he won't wait much .
- The push idea has been around since early 1996, when Pointcast popularized the notion of streaming media--offering stock quotes, sports scores, news headlines and the like.
- Detroit's Big Three are pushing for federal loan guarantees to stay afloat through the tough times.
News & Articles
- Major fundraising push for Roundhouse on the way
The major fundraising push targeting area community members and alumni for the Marshalltown High School Roundhouse renovation will soon be on its way.
June 16, 2013 - Marshalltown Times-Republican
- SF, NY prosecutors push for anti-phone theft moves
SF, NY prosecutors push for anti-phone theft moves The coalition includes prosecutors, police and political officials and consumer advocates from more than a dozen states and intends to put pressure on smartphone companies and their shareholders to help dry up the secondary market in stolen phones. According to reports, roughly 113 smartphones are stolen or lost each minute in the United states ...
June 16, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Push for stricter gun laws facing tough opposition
The push for stricter gun laws in the six months since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre has had mixed results. Since that day, 44 people have been killed in ten mass shootings. And, 86 state gun laws have been …
June 14, 2013 - WPIX 11 New York
- Steve Jobs in Huffington Post (blog)
Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards - all areas where Flash falls short,Jobs wrote....
- Barack Obama in Forbes
Drugs, Obama wrote, were a way he "could push questions of who I was out of my mind, something that could flatten out the landscape of my heart, blur the edges of my memory."
- Kenny Chesney in USA Today
They took it from what the award really represents into a sweepstakes to see who can push people's buttons the hardest on the Internet,said Chesney, who won the award for the fourth straight time. "It's complete disrespect of the artist,...