- n a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
- n the act of fighting; any contest or struggle
a fight broke out at the hockey game
there was fighting in the streets
- n an aggressive willingness to compete
the team was full of fight
- n an intense verbal dispute
a violent fight over the bill is expected in the Senate
- n a boxing or wrestling match
the fight was on television last night
- v be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight
Siblings are always fighting
- v fight against or resist strongly
Don't fight it!
- v make a strenuous or labored effort
- v exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
- At Ole Miss, the Senator helped lead a fight to keep blacks out of his national fraternity.
- But after a night discussing what that fight would be like with her closest advisers and her husband, she was dropping out of the race.
- For the first time a live MMA fight will be broadcast on one of the big four networks, an extraordinary feat for a sport that, just 10 or so years ago, was roundly derided as .