- v argue or speak in defense of
- v be on the defensive; act against an attack
- v protect against a challenge or attack
- v fight against or resist strongly
- v protect or fight for as a champion
- v be the defense counsel for someone in a trial
Ms. Smith will represent the defendant
- v state or assert
- Imagine if Republicans were ever forced to defend the people in their party that endorse wacky conspiracies? There are a helluva lot of prominent Republicans in positions where they .
- TotalPackage27 asks: What is it like to defend someone who, in the eyes of the public, is guilty? Alan Dershowitz: That's my job.
- Clearly, Obama could have refused to defend DOMA if he had really wanted to.
News & Articles
- Democrats defend campaign finance bill
Connecticut Democrats are defending a new campaign finance law former Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell says dismantles ethics, contracting and campaign reforms she signed into law.
June 16, 2013 - WTNH-TV New Haven
- County to defend Big Island officers in excessive force lawsuit
The County of Hawai'i will defend five police officers accused in an excessive force lawsuit. West Hawaii Today reports the county council gave the county attorney the authority to defend the officers in the federal case. The newspaper also reports that the council approved a recommendation to indemnify, or protect, the officers from any possible punitive damages. Kona resident Nicole Namordi ...
June 15, 2013 - KITV Honolulu
- Obama to defend U.S. surveillance programs in G8 talks, White House says
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama will defend U.S. phone and internet surveillance efforts during G8 talks next week, explaining to other leaders the importance of the tools in fighting terrorism, and safeguards in place to prevent abuse of the data, said Ben Rhodes, Obama's deputy national security advisor, on Friday. Rhodes acknowledged that European countries have privacy and ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- President Bush in USA Today
Bringing Saddam Hussein to justice will not end the violence in Iraq, but it is an important milestone on Iraq's course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain and defend itself, and be an ally in the war on terror,Bush said.
- Mitch McConnell in The Hindu
Senate Republican leader, Mitch McConnell said Byrd "combined a devotion to the US Constitution with a deep learning of history to defend the interests of his state and the traditions of the Senate."
- Barack Obama in Courthouse News Service
We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend,Obama said to applause. "And we honor those ideals by upholding them not when it's easy, but when it is hard."