- v take the place of or be parallel or equivalent to
- v express indirectly by an image, form, or model; be a symbol
- v be representative or typical for
This period is represented by Beethoven
- v be a delegate or spokesperson for; represent somebody's interest or be a proxy or substitute for, as of politicians and office holders representing their constituents, or of a tenant representing other tenants in a housing dispute
I represent the silent majority
- v serve as a means of expressing something
The flower represents a young girl
- v be characteristic of
- v form or compose
This sum represents my entire income for a year
- v be the defense counsel for someone in a trial
Ms. Smith will represent the defendant
- v create an image or likeness of
The painter represented his wife as a young girl
- v play a role or part
- v perform (a play), especially on a stage
- v describe or present, usually with respect to a particular quality
He represented this book as an example of the Russian 19th century novel
- v point out or draw attention to in protest or remonstrance
our parents represented to us the need for more caution
- v bring forward and present to the mind
We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason
- v to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets)
- They represent the freedom afforded those considered to be citizens in an Apartheid system, while we represent the values of judging each American as an individual.
- Borrowing some of the mathematics that string theorists invented to plumb the secrets of the physical universe, he has found a way to represent the universe of all possible musical .
- Not only do we hear him in those trumpet players who represent the present renaissance in jazz Wynton Marsalis, Wallace Roney, Terence Blanchard, Roy Hargrove, Nicholas Payton .
News & Articles
- Wharton: These volunteers represent Utah to the world
Wharton: These volunteers represent Utah to the world by Tom Wharton The Salt Lake Tribune Published Jun 11, 2013 10:36AM MDT The volunteers who work the information desk at the Visit Salt Lake office and store inside the Salt Palace get some strange questions. One older gentleman asked retired newspaper printer and volunteer Dale Hansen where he could find a sperm bank. Volunteer Christiane ...
June 11, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- Lawyer for Guilford Four will represent John Downey in IRA Hyde Park bombing case
The British lawyer Gareth Peirce, famed for helping free the Guildford Four and Birmingham Six, will represent John Downey, who is accused for killing four British soldiers in the IRA 1982 Hyde Park bombings.
June 11, 2013 - Irish Central
- Barbara Vucanovich, first woman to represent Nevada in US House, dies at 91
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Barbara Vucanovich, first woman to represent Nevada in US House, dies at 91.
June 10, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Nouri al-Maliki in International Herald Tribune
The verdict placed on the heads of the former regime does not represent a verdict for any one person. It is a verdict on a whole dark era that was unmatched in Iraq's history,Nouri al-Maliki said.
- Barbara Boxer in CNN International
Dr. Bernanke played a lead role in crafting the Bush administration's economic policies, which led to the current economic crisis,Boxer said. "Our next Federal Reserve chairman must represent a clean break from the failed policies of the...
- Ben Bernanke in DailyFinance
As for the financial crisis in the European Union, Bernanke said the actions taken by European leaders "represent a firm commitment to resolve the prevailing stresses and restore market confidence and stability."