- v express indirectly by an image, form, or model; be a symbol
What does the Statue of Liberty symbolize?
- v represent or identify by using a symbol; use symbols
The poet symbolizes love in this poem
These painters believed that artists should symbolize
- It is perhaps a uniquely Sicilian sort of irony that an easygoing smile shared by two old friends would come to symbolize the island's darkest hour of the past 60 years.
- They stood in black socks to represent black poverty; Carlos wore beads to symbolize black lynchings; together they raised their black-gloved fists in a cry for black unity.
- And now, at a time when Catalonia has achieved an unprecedented degree of autonomy, thanks to new statues negotiated with the Zapatero government, the Bara continues to symbolize .
News & Articles
- Bus-Fare Furor Shows All That’s Wrong in Brazil for Bonds
The nine-cent increase in bus fares in Sao Paulo is coming to symbolize everything that’s wrong with Latin America’s largest economy -- for protesters and bondholders alike.
June 19, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Opinion: Why U.S. now needs Germany more than ever
U.S. President John F. Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech delivered 50 years ago was well received by more than 100,000 Germans hopeful for America's steadfast support as Berlin came to symbolize one of the Cold War's main battlegrounds. As presidential candidate in the summer of 2008, Barack Obama had nearly twice that number of optimistic onlookers at Berlin's Victory Column who eagerly ...
June 19, 2013 - CNN
- Obama's Germany trip can't be business as usual
President Obama needs to offer some fresh ideas for the future of America's most important alliance – its partnership with Europe. After wrapping up the G8 summit this week in Northern Ireland, Mr. Obama is in Berlin today for his first official visit to Germany. There he will give a speech at the Brandenburg Gate, which has come to symbolize Berlin’s post-cold war reunification. This itinerary ...
June 19, 2013 - Christian Science Monitor via Yahoo! News
- Alicia Keys in Washington Post
Keys, 27, said she's read several Black Panther autobiographies and wears a gold AK-47 pendant around her neck "to symbolize strength, power and killing 'em dead," according to an interview in the magazine's May issue, on newsstands Tuesday.
- Nelson Mandela in Washington Post
Though this statue is of one man, it should in actual fact symbolize all those who have resisted oppression, especially in my country,Mandela said at the ceremony attended by Prime Minister Gordon Brown. "The history of the struggle in...
- Michael Bloomberg in Forbes
Rising from the heart of the World Trade Center site, the Freedom Tower will symbolize the spirit of our city and our nation: inspiring, soaring and undefeated,Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.