act : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a legal document codifying the result of deliberations of a committee or society or legislative body
- n something that people do or cause to happen
- n a subdivision of a play or opera or ballet
- n a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
he did his act three times every evening
- n a manifestation of insincerity
he put on quite an act for her benefit
- v perform an action, or work out or perform (an action)
think before you act
The governor should act on the new energy bill
The nanny acted quickly by grabbing the toddler and covering him with a wet towel
- v behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself
You should act like an adult
The dog acts ferocious, but he is really afraid of people
- v play a role or part
She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role
- v discharge one's duties
She acts as the chair
In what capacity are you acting?
- v pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind
He acted the idiot
- v be suitable for theatrical performance
This scene acts well
- v have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected
How does your idea work in practice?
The breaks of my new car act quickly
- v be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure
- v behave unnaturally or affectedly
She's just acting
- v perform on a stage or theater
She acts in this play
He acted in `Julius Caesar'
- The Glass-Steagall Act, enacted in 1934, aimed to keep banks separate from those other financial sectors.
- Lots of characters in search of a tax cutAct I of Ronald Reagan's economic program came off without a hitch.
- Four months later, the ACT patients had to be rehospitalized 50% less often.
News & Articles
- Documentary ‘The Act Of Killing’ Intrigues As It Nears UK, U.S. Release: Video
Joshua Oppenheimer’s The Act Of Killing , about a group of Indonesian men who revisit and re-enact assassinations they committed after the military coup of 1965, made waves at both Telluride and Toronto in 2012. Earlier this year, it won the best documentary prize in the Panorama section of Berlin as well as the Ecumenical Jury prize. Drafthouse Films acquired the pic in October and will release ...
June 21, 2013 - Deadline Hollywood
- Evaluation by ACT, Inc. Confirms Career & College Clubs Program Helps At-Risk Youth Plan for Education Success
A report issued today by ACT, Inc. indicates Career & College Clubs, a middle school peer-to-peer intervention, increases the likelihood at-risk students will make specific plans to succeed in high school and postsecondary education. (PRWeb June 21, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10852728.htm
June 21, 2013 - PRWeb
- Calder: Scandalous Act tries to uphold family pride in J J'sdream
MIAMI – Scandalous Act will try to follow in the footsteps of her big brother Two T’s at Two B by winning a Calder stakes in her second start when she vies for favoritism with Kentucky invader Sweetmarys Success in Saturday’s $100,000 J J’sdream.
June 20, 2013 - Daily Racing Form
- President Bush in Reuters
The United States strongly condemns this cowardly act by murderous extremists who are trying to undermine Pakistan's democracy,Bush told reporters on the outskirts of his Texas ranch. "Those who committed this crime must be brought to...
- Barack Obama in USA Today
Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others,Obama said during a naturalization ceremony for two dozen new US citizens, all of them members of the military.