- n (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons)
the attack began at dawn
- n an offensive move in a sport or game
they won the game with a 10-hit attack in the 9th inning
- n intense adverse criticism
the government has come under attack
- n ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation
an attack on inflation
his plan of attack was misguided
- n the act of attacking
attacks on women increased last year
- n a decisive manner of beginning a musical tone or phrase
- n a sudden occurrence of an uncontrollable condition
an attack of diarrhea
- n the onset of a corrosive or destructive process (as by a chemical agent)
the film was sensitive to attack by acids
open to attack by the elements
- n strong criticism
he published an unexpected attack on my work
- v launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with
Hitler attacked Poland on September 1, 1939 and started World War II
- v attack in speech or writing
The editors of the left-leaning paper attacked the new House Speaker
- v take the initiative and go on the offensive
The Serbs attacked the village at night
The visiting team started to attack
- v attack someone physically or emotionally
- v set to work upon; turn one's energies vigorously to a task
I attacked the problem as soon as I got out of bed
- v begin to injure
The cancer cells are attacking his liver
Rust is attacking the metal
- Although nobody witnessed either attack, authorities believe that Jimenez was sitting at the edge of a canal, dangling her feet in the water, when she was seized by an alligator .
- Chinese authorities say the attack was a plot by two fanatics.
- Four qualities invariably marked the Japanese attack: efficiency, discipline, brutality and, especially, surprise.
News & Articles
- Religion under attack in America - LETTER TO THE EDITOR: June 13
Christianity has been under attack from many venues including Hollywood, the music industry, and even academia. There is no “tolerance” for Christianity. Now, it is under attack from our own Defense Department.
June 13, 2013 - The Oakland Press
- Maoist Rebel Attack on Train in India Kills 3
Suspected Maoist rebels attack train in eastern India, killing 3 and wounding 2 others
June 13, 2013 - ABC News
- Air attack video given to WikiLeaks could help enemy: witness
By Tom Ramstack FORT MEADE, Maryland (Reuters) - A video of an Apache gunship attack allegedly provided by a U.S. soldier to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks could help enemy fighters in attacking American forces, a battle strategist testified at the soldier's court-martial on Wednesday. The gunsight video of a 2007 Apache helicopter attack in Baghdad is among more than 700,000 classified ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Joachim Loew in The Associated Press
I am sure the Spanish can win any game,Germany coach Joachim Loew said, "because they are dominant and it's hard to contain their attack."
- Barack Obama in Irish Times
Speaking more forcefully than at any time since the attempted attack, Mr Obama said: "The bottom line is this. The US government had sufficient information to have uncovered this plot and potentially disrupt the Christmas Day attack. But our...
- Fabio Capello in Independent
We played well. Germany is a big team. They played a good game. We made some mistakes when they played the counter-attack,he said.