- n earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
- n the act of attacking
they made an attempt on his life
- v make an effort or attempt
The police attempted to stop the thief
- v enter upon an activity or enterprise
- The alleged suicide attempt by the actor, known for his happy-go-lucky characters, shocks the movie industry.
- It was Robert's third attempt at climbing the building, a feat known as "buildering"; he had been captured by security guards on his first two tries, in 1997 and 2007.
- Democratic donor Denise Rich, who was persuaded to go to bat for her former husband in spite of a bitter divorce, had been bargaining with prosecutors for weeks in an attempt to .
- Roger Goodell in Boston Globe
This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in a letter to the Patriots.
- Barack Obama in ABC News
We do not yet have all the answers about this latest attempt, but those who would slaughter innocent men, women and children must know that the United States will ...... do more than simply strengthen our defenses,Obama said in a brief...
- Michael Bloomberg in Reuters
While the bombs these terrorists attempted to plant tonight were -- unbeknownst to them -- fake, this latest attempt to attack our freedoms shows that the homeland security threats against New York City are sadly all too real,New York Mayor...