- n the activity of providing for or maintaining by supplying with money or necessities
his support kept the family together
they gave him emotional support during difficult times
- n aiding the cause or policy or interests of
the president no longer has the support of his own party
they developed a scheme of mutual support
- n something providing immaterial assistance to a person or cause or interest
the policy found little public support
his faith was all the support he needed
the team enjoyed the support of their fans
- n a military operation (often involving new supplies of men and materiel) to strengthen a military force or aid in the performance of its mission
they called for artillery support
- n documentary validation
the strongest support for this view is the work of Jones
- n the financial means whereby one lives
he applied to the state for support
- n supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation
the statue stood on a marble support
- n the act of bearing the weight of or strengthening
he leaned against the wall for support
- n a musical part (vocal or instrumental) that supports or provides background for other musical parts
- n any device that bears the weight of another thing
there was no place to attach supports for a shelf
- n financial resources provided to make some project possible
the foundation provided support for the experiment
- v give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to
She supported him during the illness
- v support materially or financially
he does not support his natural children
The scholarship supported me when I was in college
- v be behind; approve of
- v be the physical support of; carry the weight of
He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam
- v establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts
The evidence supports the defendant
- v adopt as a belief
- v support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm
- v argue or speak in defense of
She supported the motion to strike
- v play a subordinate role to (another performer)
Olivier supported Gielgud beautifully in the second act
- v be a regular customer or client of
- v put up with something or somebody unpleasant
- But some State Department officials still believe most Latin American nations, despite their verbal support for Argentina, are discomforted by the junta's use of force to settle .
- These conservatives support a major federal push to promote alternative fuels--ethanol, biodiesel, liquefied natural gas--and hybrid-auto technologies.
- Viewpoint: Congressional opponents of the surge are supporting our troops in the best possible way, says Michael Kinsley: trying to get them home to safety.
News & Articles
- French Support for Nuclear Power Rises Ahead of Law, Poll Shows
French public support for nuclear power is rising ahead of recommendations on a new energy policy law for the country, as fears about its dangers fade.
June 22, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Support-group session to look at Parkinson's
GREAT BEND - An upcoming support-group session will present ways to identify and treat Parkinson's d ...
June 22, 2013 - Hutchinson News
- Support for Czech ruling party at record low after scandal: poll
PRAGUE (Reuters) - Public support for the center-right Czech ruling party dropped to an all-time low after a bribery and spying scandal that forced Prime Minister Petr Necas to resign, an opinion poll showed on Friday. Necas quit on Monday after his closest aide was taken into custody and seven other people were charged as part of a wider police campaign against graft. The poll, conducted by the ...
June 21, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Edward Kennedy in Christian Science Monitor
I strongly support the law and the principle that the people should elect their Senator,Kennedy wrote in a letter to Gov. Deval Patrick, Senate President Therese Murray, and Speaker of the House Robert DeLeo. "I also believe it is vital...
- Barack Obama in American Chronicle
The fact is,Obama said, "that without bipartisan support, as we had just a few years ago, we cannot solve this problem."
- President Bush in Times Online
Some say the gains we are making in Iraq come too late,Mr Bush said. "They are mistaken. It is never too late to deal a blow to al-Qaeda. It is never too late to advance freedom. And it is never too late to support our troops in a fight...