- n a person who keeps watch over something or someone
- n the person who plays that position on a football team
the left guard was injured on the play
- n a device designed to prevent injury or accidents
- n a posture of defence in boxing or fencing
keep your guard up
- n the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team
- n a military unit serving to protect some place or person
- n a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.
an insurance policy is a good safeguard
we let our guard down
- n the duty of serving as a sentry
he was on guard that night
- n (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage
guards must be good blockers
- n a position on a basketball team
- v to keep watch over
there would be men guarding the horses
- v watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
guard my possessions while I'm away
- v protect against a challenge or attack
- v take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
guard against becoming too friendly with the staff
guard against infection
- A security guard at a National Guard facility in Oklahoma City called police on Friday after the teen showed up malnourished and with numerous scars and other signs of abuse .
- Chances are, you won't see these guards being led away in handcuffs on the evening news.
- To guard against fifth columnists within its gates, California needs a Home Guard of 30,000 men, according to Army esti mates.
News & Articles
- Coast Guard says Tom Morrison of Jacksonville, Glenn Garris remain missing
The Coast Guard and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission say they have suspended their search for two men after their boat capsized on Saturday.
June 16, 2013 - WJXT Jacksonville
- Coast Guard searches 2nd day for missing diver
The Coast Guard is searching for a diver missing 55 miles off Grand Isle. Petty Officer Carlos Vega says the search began Saturday afternoon for 56-year-old Tim Raines, whose home town Vega does not know.
June 16, 2013 - Erie Times-News
- Coast Guard rescues 3 after boat capsizes
The Coast Guard rescued 3 boaters near Neptune Beach early Saturday morning after the boat they were in capsized sending all of them into the water. WJXT-TV reports Stephen W. Preeschl, 61, of Keystone Heights, Fla.; Bobby Zinc, 46, of Jacksonville, Fla.; and Karl Zinc, 17, of Jacksonville, were the passengers on board at the time of the incident. The 3 boaters were on a 31-foot Yellowfin center ...
June 16, 2013 - Local 10 Miami
- Ben Bernanke in guardian.co.uk
We are attentive to the implications of changes in the value of the dollar for inflation and inflation expectations and will continue to formulate policy to guard against risks to both parts of our dual mandate,Bernanke said, referring to the...
- Barack Obama in Globe and Mail
Today, we have lost a courageous security guard who stood watch at this place of remembrance,President Obama said last night in a statement.
- Nolan Ryan in CBSSports.com
So we feel it was strictly an accident, an unfortunate thing that happened,Ryan said at a Wednesday news conference. "It's pretty hard to guard against something of that nature."