conflict : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals)
the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph"--Thomas Paine
- n opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible feelings
he was immobilized by conflict and indecision
- n a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
- n a state of opposition between persons or ideas or interests
his conflict of interest made him ineligible for the post
a conflict of loyalties
- n an incompatibility of dates or events
he noticed a conflict in the dates of the two meetings
- n opposition in a work of drama or fiction between characters or forces (especially an opposition that motivates the development of the plot)
this form of conflict is essential to Mann's writing
- n a disagreement or argument about something important
the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats
- v be in conflict
The two proposals conflict!
- v go against, as of rules and laws
This behavior conflicts with our rules
News & Articles
- Orange Park teen lived and died amid conflict
Hadrian Miguel Rabadan grew up amid chaos and died at 15 in conflict. It's still unknown whether the Orange Park teenager died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound or was killed by a bullet fired by a Clay County Sheriff's Office deputy in a confrontation in a weed-choked cemetery last Saturday night.
June 17, 2013 - The Florida Times-Union
- Private money pours into Syrian conflict as rich donors pick sides
Wealthy Arabs, charities pick winners in Syrian conflict by funneling cash to Islamist rebel groups.
June 16, 2013 - Washington Post
- Syrian Conflict Claims 93,000 Lives, UN Reports
The Syrian conflict, several months into its third year now, has reached a confirmed death count of 92,901 individuals, said the United Nations in a new report released Thursday. The updated figure was announced from the UN’s human rights office in Geneva, which included new numbers from the Syrian conflict which in recent weeks has [...] Syrian Conflict Claims 93,000 Lives, UN Reports is a post ...
June 13, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Barack Obama in Bloomberg
Those "who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West, know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy," Obama said.
- President Bush in Washington Post
I'm deeply concerned about the situation in Georgia,Bush said in a statement to reporters while attending the Olympic Games in Beijing. "The attacks are occurring in regions of Georgia far from the zone of conflict in South Ossetia. They...
- Lance Armstrong in The Associated Press
There was a group up the road, we didn't know what to do,Armstrong said. "The Schlecks were behind, some other guys were behind. It was sort of a conflict about what to do then."