- v maintain or assert
He contended that Communism had no future
- v have an argument about something
- v to make the subject of dispute, contention, or litigation
- v come to terms with
- v compete for something; engage in a contest; measure oneself against others
- v be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight
Militant groups are contending for control of the country
- The Almighty Latin King and Queen Nation of New York City contend that they've done just that.
- Was President Bush's upset victory over Vice President Al Gore in this state an aberration, as Democrats contend, or the start of a new era, as Republicans contend?.
- They contend that the cost, which can include thousands of dollars to send teachers abroad for training, makes the approach too expensive for any but the richest private schools .
News & Articles
- NC House gives initial OK to Republicans’ budget
RALEIGH — The North Carolina House gave initial approval Wednesday to a budget plan through mid-2015 that Republicans contend advances reform and responsibility but that Democrats say harms citizens recklessly.
June 13, 2013 - Rocky Mount Telegram
- Outlet mall still a priority for Southaven leaders
The Outlet Shops of the Mid-South, an $80 million mall slated to be built in Southaven, is one of the first projects the new mayor and aldermen will have to contend with after moving into City Hall next month.
June 12, 2013 - Memphis Commercial Appeal
- U.S. Science Fleet's Future Is Far from Shipshape
They already have to contend with cruel seas and crueler grant reviewers, but American marine scientists may face an even bigger problem: barring major investment, the federal oceanographic fleet is going to be down to half its current size by 2026. [More]
June 11, 2013 - Scientific American
- Roger Goodell in FOXSports.com
Goodell said "even if you did not place bets, as you contend, your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL Player Contract and expose you to corrupting influences...... one of the...
- Jon Scheyer in USA Today
We're happy to get this win,Scheyer said. "We've worked really hard, this group, and I think we've come a long way since our freshman year. And to be in a position in the Final Four and contend for a national championship, it means a lot....
- Dale Earnhardt Jr in Washington Post
It is the time for me to compete on a consistent basis and contend for championships,Earnhardt said before a capacity crowd of reporters and TV cameras during a news conference in Mooresville, NC, at his race shop, JR Motorsports, which...