- n a tool consisting of several hooks for grasping and holding; often thrown with a rope
- n a dredging bucket with hinges like the shell of a clam
- n the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat
- v come to terms with
- v to grip or seize, as in a wrestling match
the two men grappled with each other for several minutes
- The bad news is that unlike Canada, few other NATO countries have begun to grapple with the urgency of 21st century threats or the sacrifices needed to deal with them.
- When man-eating trees run amok in the script, the soundmen drag a real tree into the studio, grapple with it to give the proper effect.
- The first, and easier one to grapple with, is how to deal with Obama.
News & Articles
- State budget cuts could impact Dana residents with tainted wells
Dana residents faced a foe they never saw coming when state testing revealed the water they drank for years was poisoned by an old, penetrating pesticide. Now they face a new threat, as state lawmakers grapple with budgets that could kill funding sources for their relief.
June 12, 2013 - The Hendersonville Times-News
- EU Races to Meet End-June Deadline on Bank Creditor-Loss Rules
European Union finance ministers will grapple next week over how far the bloc should standardize its approach to writing down failing banks’ creditors as they seek agreement on a blueprint to end state bailouts.
June 11, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Soccer community supports beach run for Ladera girl, 13, with cancer
SAN CLEMENTE – Most 13-year old girls have plenty of problems to grapple with, but most never have to fight cancer for a third of their life.Ladera Ranch resident Katie Hawley has fought the disease twice in four years and won while still dealing...
June 11, 2013 - Canyons, Coto, Ladera & RSM News
- Glenn Stevens in Forbes
Assessments of how much is warranted could be affected by changes in the international environment as well as by developments in the domestic economy. These are matters the Board will need to grapple with over the period ahead,Stevens said.
- Tim Finchem in Sydney Morning Herald
Finchem said the book does not violate the American tour regulations, although "it is clear that he continues to be concerned about and grapple with significant personal challenges."
- Morris Iemma in The Australian
This is a really troubling case,Mr Iemma said. "It highlights the difficulty of the job that DoCS workers grapple with every single day."