holding : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the act of retaining something
- n something owned; any tangible or intangible possession that is owned by someone;
- v keep in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g., "keep clean"
- v have or hold in one's hands or grip
- v organize or be responsible for
- v have or possess, either in a concrete or an abstract sense
- v keep in mind or convey as a conviction or view
- v maintain (a theory, thoughts, or feelings)
- v to close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement
- v secure and keep for possible future use or application
- v have rightfully; of rights, titles, and offices
- v be the physical support of; carry the weight of
What's holding that mirror?
- v contain or hold; have within
- v have room for; hold without crowding
- v remain in a certain state, position, or condition
- v support or hold in a certain manner
- v be valid, applicable, or true
- v assert or affirm
- v have as a major characteristic
- v be capable of holding or containing
- v arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance
- v protect against a challenge or attack
- v bind by an obligation; cause to be indebted
- v hold the attention of
- v remain committed to
- v resist or confront with resistance
- v be pertinent or relevant or applicable
- v stop dealing with
- v lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits
- v keep from departing
- v take and maintain control over, often by violent means
- v cause to stop
- v cover as for protection against noise or smell
- v drink alcohol without showing ill effects
- v aim, point, or direct
- v declare to be
- v be in accord; be in agreement
- v keep from exhaling or expelling
- Of course, another factor associated with longer holding times is the consumption of pure oxygen beforehand.
- The New Deal's Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935 is a knout which can be used to flay the backs of investment bankers holding controlling blocks of utilities stock.
- It's harder to find a romance where they dwell on the hand-holding.
News & Articles
- Luxoft Holding, Inc Announces Launch of Initial Public Offering
Luxoft Holding, Inc announced today that it has commenced an initial public offering of 4,092,070 Class A ordinary shares pursuant to a registration statement on Form F-1 filed with the U.S.
June 12, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Independence Holding Company (IHC) Ex-Dividend Date Scheduled for June 13, 2013
Independence Holding Company ( IHC ) will begin trading ex-dividend on June 13, 2013. A cash dividend payment of $0.035 per share is scheduled to be paid on July 01, 2013. Shareholders who
June 12, 2013 - Nasdaq
- MB Holding Company LLC ("MB") Announces Closing of Standby Commitment for the Rights Offering of Nautilus Minerals Inc ...
MB Holding Company LLC ("MB") Announces Closing of Standby Commitment for the Rights Offering of Nautilus Minerals Inc. ("Nautilus")
June 12, 2013 - CNW Group via Yahoo! Finance
- Dan Gilbert in Technorati (blog)
It's not about him leaving,Gilbert said. "It's the disrespect. It's time for people to hold these athletes accountable for their actions. Is this the way you raise your children? I've been holding this all in for a long time."
- Jack Cafferty in New York Times
I don't know if China is any different, but our relationship with China is certainly different,Mr. Cafferty said, according to CNN. "We're in hock to the Chinese up to our eyeballs because of the war in Iraq, for one thing. They're holding...
- D Jeffrey Meldrum in Sydney Morning Herald
Jeffrey Meldrum, a prominent Bigfoot researcher, told science journal Scientific American: "I'm extremely sceptical about this Bigfoot claim. I've had interactions with Tom Biscardi [a well-known Bigfoot hunter who is holding the press conference]...