keeping : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n conformity or harmony
his behavior was not in keeping with the occasion
- n the responsibility of a guardian or keeper
he left his car in my keeping
- n the act of retaining something
- v keep in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g., "keep clean"
- v continue a certain state, condition, or activity
- v retain possession of
- v stop (someone or something) from doing something or being in a certain state
- v conform one's action or practice to
- v stick to correctly or closely
- v look after; be the keeper of; have charge of
- v maintain by writing regular records
- v supply with room and board
He is keeping three women in the guest cottage
- v allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature
- v supply with necessities and support
- v fail to spoil or rot
- v behave as expected during of holidays or rites
- v keep under control; keep in check
- v maintain in safety from injury, harm, or danger
- v raise
- v retain rights to
- v store or keep customarily
- v have as a supply
- v maintain for use and service
- v hold and prevent from leaving
- v prevent (food) from rotting
- For the rest of the tense flightthe captain had warned that Reid might have accomplices onboardpassengers and crew guarded their prisoner, one of them keeping a grip on his .
- While keeping a food diary works, it's best to do so in conjunction with regular exercise.
News & Articles
- Keeping helicopter fleet modern costly for hospital
Keeping one of the state’s best-known helicopter ambulance services aloft requires more than just maintenance and money. It requires planning on a decade-long scale.
June 14, 2013 - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- Aberdeen keeping 'Come as you are' welcome sign
ABERDEEN, Wash. (AP) — After hearing from fans of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, the Washington state city of Aberdeen is keeping the words "Come as you are" on a welcome sign.
June 13, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Keeping Us Safe From Obama
Keeping Us Safe From Obama
June 11, 2013 - Mona Charen via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in New York Times
Under these circumstances, it's hard to understand how derivative traders at AIG warranted any bonuses at all, much less $165 million in extra pay,Mr. Obama said. "How do they justify this outrage to the taxpayers who are keeping the...
- David Cameron in Globe and Mail
We are paying a high price for keeping our country safe, for making our world a safer place,he said. "We are there because the Afghans are not yet ready to keep their own country safe and to keep terrorists and terrorist training camps out...