- v state emphatically and authoritatively
He declared that he needed more money to carry out the task he was charged with
- v announce publicly or officially
The President declared war
- v state firmly
He declared that he was innocent
- v declare to be
She was declared incompetent
- v authorize payments of
- v designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand
- v make a declaration (of dutiable goods) to a customs official
Do you have anything to declare?
- v proclaim one's support, sympathy, or opinion for or against
His wife declared at once for moving to the West Coast
- The microbrewers declare their preference for beer with taste.
- December 19 Rebel Serbs declare independence in Krajina region of Croatia.
- If he and other Kosovar leaders declare independence from Serbia as they are expected to do by January he will be the first PM of the newly sovereign state.
News & Articles
- Blowhards abound in Back Atchya Week
Perhaps it’s time to declare National Back Atchya Week, a time to do unto others, to treat the TV guys as if they’re the idiots. For starters, every time a Jimmy Dolan/Cablevision installation or service person (finally) shows up at your home, charge a $5 Facility Fee...
June 16, 2013 - New York Post
- Turkish union federation to call general strike after police raid
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - One of Turkey's main public sector labor unions said it would call a general strike for Monday after riot police stormed an Istanbul park, firing tear gas and percussion bombs to evict hundreds of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday. "We had already taken a decision to go on strike if there was an intervention on the park. So tomorrow we will declare a strike for ...
June 15, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Supreme Court rejects gene patents
In unanimous ruling, justices declare that human genes are a product of nature and cannot be patented and held for profit. WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled that human genes are a product of nature and cannot be patented and held for profit, a decision that medical experts said will lead to more genetic testing for cancers and other diseases and to lower costs for patients.
June 14, 2013 - Los Angeles Times