- n the act of throwing (propelling something with a rapid movement of the arm and wrist)
the catcher made a good throw to second base
- n a single chance or instance
he couldn't afford $50 a throw
- n the maximum movement available to a pivoted or reciprocating piece by a cam
- n bedclothes consisting of a lightweight cloth covering (an afghan or bedspread) that is casually thrown over something
- n casting an object in order to determine an outcome randomly
he risked his fortune on a throw of the dice
- v propel through the air
throw a frisbee
- v move violently, energetically, or carelessly
- v get rid of
- v place or put with great energy
- v convey or communicate; of a smile, a look, a physical gesture
- v cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation
throw the lever
- v put or send forth
- v to put into a state or activity hastily, suddenly, or carelessly
throw the car into reverse
- v cause to be confused emotionally
- v utter with force; utter vehemently
throw accusations at someone
- v organize or be responsible for
have, throw, or make a party
- v make on a potter's wheel
- v cause to fall off
- v throw (a die) out onto a flat surface
- v be confusing or perplexing to; cause to be unable to think clearly
- Her silhouettes throw themselves against the wall and don't blink.
- Second baseman Johnny Pesky's relay throw was late and one of baseball's most contended stories was born.
- Never throw out campaign tchotchkes.
- Edwin Jackson in CBSSports.com
It's one of those bittersweet moments. You throw a no-hitter and it's against your old team,Jackson said. "At least it's with a crowd that you've had accomplishment with."
- Barack Obama in Indianapolis Star
The movement has gained momentum since President-elect Barack Obama said in a "60 Minutes" interview last weekend that he plans "to throw my weight around a little bit" for an eight-team playoff.
- Lance Armstrong in The Associated Press
You can't take away the fact that he's probably the most talented guy to ever throw a leg over a bike ...... I don't have a problem saying that,Armstrong said. "What we saw last year was extremely impressive on all levels â€”...