- n the financial means whereby one lives
each child was expected to pay for their keep
- n the main tower within the walls of a medieval castle or fortress
- n a cell in a jail or prison
- v keep in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g., "keep clean"
The students keep me on my toes
- v continue a certain state, condition, or activity
- v retain possession of
Can I keep my old stuffed animals?
- v stop (someone or something) from doing something or being in a certain state
- v conform one's action or practice to
she never keeps her promises
- v stick to correctly or closely
I cannot keep track of all my employees
- v look after; be the keeper of; have charge of
He keeps the shop when I am gone
- v maintain by writing regular records
keep a diary
- v supply with room and board
He is keeping three women in the guest cottage
- v allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature
The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff
Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on
- v supply with necessities and support
There's little to earn and many to keep
- v fail to spoil or rot
These potatoes keep for a long time
- v behave as expected during of holidays or rites
- v keep under control; keep in check
keep your cool
- v maintain in safety from injury, harm, or danger
May God keep you
- v raise
She keeps a few chickens in the yard
he keeps bees
- v retain rights to
keep my job for me while I give birth
keep my seat, please
keep open the possibility of a merger
- v store or keep customarily
Where do you keep your gardening tools?
- v have as a supply
I always keep batteries in the freezer
keep food for a week in the pantry
She keeps a sixpack and a week's worth of supplies in the refrigerator
- v maintain for use and service
I keep a car in the countryside
She keeps an apartment in Paris for her shopping trips
- v hold and prevent from leaving
- v prevent (food) from rotting
keep potatoes fresh
- Indeed, keep naughtiness in check and avoid complacency.
- Maybe that was true, but that didn't keep Suzy Homemakers from driving them to the mall.
- A business is born of keeping elephants out of trouble .
News & Articles
- Andrew Stockdale –‘Keep Moving’
Keep Moving is the debut album for Wolfmother singer, guitarist and writer Andrew Stockdale. read more
June 17, 2013 - TheCelebrityCafe.com
- Keep listeria bacteria at bay
With the arrival of summer, many folks think they can keep their picnic food safe from bacteria by storing it in the refrigerator.
June 17, 2013 - Wausau Daily Herald
- Keep track of the goings-on at the U.S.
Keep track of the goings-on at the U.S. Open right here . Photo credit: Getty
June 16, 2013 - Deadspin
- Samuel Alito in BusinessWeek
It is clear that the framers and ratifiers of the 14th Amendment counted the right to keep and bear arms among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty,Alito wrote.
- Miroslav Klose in The Canadian Press
Our plan was to win possession quickly and then try to keep it, to pass the ball around,striker Miroslav Klose said.
- David Villa in The Associated Press
It was one of my best goals because it got us through to the next round,Villa said. "Keep scoring so we can keep going."