- n large brown seaweeds having fluted leathery fronds
- So the harvesting of California kelp, which declined after World War I, is booming again.
- Los Angeles They're cute, furry, and when they're not chasing each other around kelp forests, they're floating on their backs like miniature teddy bears.
- The kelp is tethered by stipes-stems, structures that connect the base, or holdfast, to the leaflike blades.
News & Articles
The first Saturday of summer saw consistent crowds all day at the beaches in Oceanside, California. Visitors Kassidy, 8, and Kaidance, 3, found kelp leaves on the sandy beach near the pier.
June 23, 2013 - San Diego Reader
- Body found off San Carlos Beach
A diver pulled dead from the water off San Carlos beach Friday may be a Marin County man reported missing Sunday. Monterey police Lt. Leslie Sonne said divers discovered the man floating in a kelp bed about 30 yards offshore. The drowning victim was dressed in diving gear, minus his tanks. Sgt.
June 22, 2013 - The Monterey County Herald
- Long Island Sound Cash Crop Makes Its Way To Manhattan Tables
In spite of what you might think, this new cash crop isn't shell-fish, it's kelp. The superfood is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and is being served up at local restaurants.
June 21, 2013 - CBS New York
- David Kay in Los Angeles Times
You're creating an . . . entire, complex marine ecosystem simply by laying down the foundation for the primary producers, the giant kelp,said David Kay, Edison's manager of environmental projects.
- Sam Farr in The Salinas Californian
Sea otters are a California icon, attracting tens of thousands of visitors to the Central Coast and playing a crucial role in maintaining our unique kelp-bed communities,Farr said in a statement. "Sadly, these wonderful creatures were...
- Ramon Dominguez in Thoroughbred Times
I committed myself because [jockey Eibar Coa aboard Kelp] was the only other speed in the race,Dominguez said. "His horse was starting to get out pretty badly, but by that time, it was too late; I wasn't going to take back and go inside. I...