- v keep under control; keep in check
- v place limits on (extent or access)
- v to close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement
- v hold back
- v to compel or deter by or as if by threats
- Mediation is further complicated by the limited leverage available to Washington to restrain both sides from marching into what, the best intentions notwithstanding, could turn out .
- Here Ike echoed a theme he had voiced in his State of the Union address last January: labor and business, as well as government, should restrain their demands.
- The one party he refused to legalize was the Communistbut he did nothing to restrain the Communist clique behind gullible Army Colonel Jacobo Arbenz, who succeeded him as .
News & Articles
- IT Companies Back Federal Plans to Battle Patent Trolls
Major IT companies want to seize the moment in an effort to restrain what they consider to be an abuse of intellectual property rights by so-called patent trolls. In a recent flurry of activity, lawmakers and the Obama administration have taken steps to support large IT companies seeking patent claim reforms. The big IT companies claim that current law overwhelmingly favors the patent trolls.
June 12, 2013 - E-Commerce Times
- Ariel Castro pleads not guilty to charges of kidnapping, rape and murder (video)
Ariel Castro used chains to restrain Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight during years of forced captivity in his house, according to recently filed charges against the former school bus driver.
June 12, 2013 - The Sun Press
- Man cuts own throat, arrested in Petaluma
Published: Monday, June 10, 2013 at 10:18 a.m. Last Modified: Monday, June 10, 2013 at 10:18 a.m. A young Petaluma man cut his own throat Sunday night and fought off family members and police before they were able to restrain him and give him medical aid, Petaluma police reported Monday.
June 12, 2013 - The Petaluma Argus-Courier