- v lengthen or extend in duration or space
We sustained the diplomatic negotiations as long as possible
- v undergo (as of injuries and illnesses)
- v provide with nourishment
We sustained ourselves on bread and water
- v supply with necessities and support
She alone sustained her family
The money will sustain our good cause
- v be the physical support of; carry the weight of
- v admit as valid
The court sustained the motion
- v establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts
- Through his work, he helped sustain the qualities of fancifulness, warmth and consideration that have been so threatened by our coarse, cynical age.
- Obesity has become an epidemica health and economic burden America cannot sustain.
- In fact, it's based on economic and, more important, capitalist rationality, because we've determined it's the only way we can sustain the economic growth that the IMF, which was .
News & Articles
- Why Bill Gates Is Investing In Chicken-Less Eggs
Investors like Gates are betting that our planet can't sustain the current rate of growth in animal-based foods for too much longer. Products like Beyond Eggs, a plant-based substitute, are designed to fill the void.
June 13, 2013 - NPR
- Maine governor’s veto of overdose bill is upheld
A bill addressing the legal treatment of drug overdose witnesses in Maine has been rejected for the session. The state Senate voted Wednesday to sustain Governor Paul LePage’s veto of the bill, as it fell just a few votes shy of an override.
June 13, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Stocks Turn Lower After Seeing Initial Strength - U.S. Commentary
After failing to sustain an initial upward move, stocks have turned lower over the course of the trading day on Wednesday. The major averages have pulled back well off their highs for the session and into negative territory. The major averages have bounced off their new lows for the session in the past few minutes but remain firmly in the red.
June 12, 2013 - RTT News
- President Bush in USA Today
Bringing Saddam Hussein to justice will not end the violence in Iraq, but it is an important milestone on Iraq's course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain and defend itself, and be an ally in the war on terror,Bush said.
- Barack Obama in San Francisco Chronicle
Against that backdrop, Obama said, "Budget reform is not an option. It is an imperative. We cannot sustain a system that bleeds billions of taxpayer dollars on programs that have outlived their usefulness, or exist solely because of the power of a...
- Stephen Harper in USA Today
To sustain the recovery, it is imperative that we follow through on existing stimulus plans,Harper said. "At the same time, advanced countries must send a clear message that as our stimulus plans expire, we will focus on getting our fiscal...