affirm : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts
- v to declare or affirm solemnly and formally as true
- v say yes to
- Presidents can choose to affirm instead of swear (although only one has: the devout Franklin Pierce).
- And inevitably the criticism arrived as well, dressed up in social science and scholarly glee at the semiotics of girls kneeling beneath raised swords to affirm their purity.
- Beatification will confirm Pius' "heroic virtue," affirm a miracle (a nun's broken kneecap healed) and encourage Catholics to venerate his remains, which will be transferred to a .
News & Articles
- Mass. high court partially overturns landmark tobacco case award
The state’s highest court has partially overturned a landmark verdict against Lorillard Tobacco Co. that alleged the company designed cigarettes solely to attract younger smokers, addicting a Boston woman who later died of lung cancer. The Supreme Judicial Court upheld the award of compensatory damages to the woman’s son and her estate, but struck down the award of punitive damages. “We affirm ...
June 11, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Missouri Appellate Court Rejects Challenges to Red-Light Safety Cameras
Today's ruling by the Missouri Court of Appeals of Eastern Missouri upholds the constitutionality of red-light safety camera programs, and affirms the City of St. Louis' authority to regulate traffic safety ...
June 11, 2013 - Marketwired via Yahoo! Finance
- Affirm XL, Inc. Re-launches U.S. Made Sexual Enhancement Dietary Supplement
LADERA RANCH, Calif., June 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Affirm XL, Inc. today announced Affirm XL Dietary Supplement, now manufactured in the U.S., meets all FDA guidelines. Three years ago, the Company conducted an internal recall of this supplement, which was produced in Korea,...
June 5, 2013 - PR Newswire
- Barack Obama in TheNewsTribune.com
We need to act in concert for a simple reason: This crisis proved and events continue to affirm that our national economies are inextricably linked,Obama said on the White House lawn before leaving for Canada. "At the G-20 summit this...
- Thomas Jefferson in Bahama Islands Info
Speaking on Independence Day to a group of Americans, he said, "We gather to affirm the greatness of our nation - not because of the height of our skyscrapers, or the power of our military, or the size of our economy. Our pride is based on a very...
- Pope Benedict XVI in USA Today
Leading a Mass in Nationals Park in Washington Thursday, Benedict asked the thousands of parishioners who crammed the stadium to "love your priests, and to affirm them in the excellent work that they do."