- v keep from happening or arising; make impossible
- v stop (someone or something) from doing something or being in a certain state
We must prevent the cancer from spreading
- In a large, definitive trial, researchers find that the popular supplement gingko biloba does not prevent memory loss.
- Omega-3s prevent platelets in the blood from clumping together and sticking to arterial walls in the form of plaque.
- By simply posting the last election's voter roll online, Bangladeshi corruption fighters hope to prevent voting fraud.
News & Articles
- Funding to prevent forest fires in Black Hills could be cut
Across the board, the Federal Government is spending less and less on preventing wildfires. In the Black Hills that means half the total budget has to go to fighting fires rather than preventing them.
June 22, 2013 - KOTA Rapid City
- Rugby-Wallabies keen to prevent repeat of 'Sea of Red'
By Nick Mulvenney BRISBANE, June 21 (Reuters) - Australia captain James Horwill has implored Wallabies fans to come to Lang Park dressed in gold on Saturday and prevent a repeat of the 2001 British and Irish Lions test when visiting fans famously created a 'Sea of Red' in Brisbane. The 2001 test, which the tourists won before going on to lose the series 2-1, was played at the Gabba cricket ...
June 21, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Toolkit Now Available to Prevent Law Enforcement Officer-Involved Domestic Violence
A new toolkit developed by Florida State University researchers to prevent domestic violence involving law enforcement officers is now available to all criminal justice agencies in the Southeast in the first phase of a plan to make the toolkit available to agencies across the nation.
June 20, 2013 - Newswise
- President Bush in Earthtimes (press release)
All of us, of course, would like to see ...... violence stop, but not at the expense of an agreement that does not prevent the crisis from happening again,Bush said.
- Bertrand Piccard in Telegraph.co.uk
Nothing can prevent us from another day and night...... and the myth of perpetual flight,an Mr Piccard told journalists, noting that the airline had three hours' flight time left when the sun rose.