- n a written work or composition that has been published (printed on pages bound together)
I am reading a good book on economics
- n physical objects consisting of a number of pages bound together
he used a large book as a doorstop
- n a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone
his name is in all the record books
- n a written version of a play or other dramatic composition; used in preparing for a performance
- n a record in which commercial accounts are recorded
they got a subpoena to examine our books
- n a collection of playing cards satisfying the rules of a card game
- n a collection of rules or prescribed standards on the basis of which decisions are made
they run things by the book around here
- n the sacred writings of Islam revealed by God to the prophet Muhammad during his life at Mecca and Medina
- n the sacred writings of the Christian religions
- n a major division of a long written composition
the book of Isaiah
- n a number of sheets (ticket or stamps etc.) bound together on one edge
he bought a book of stamps
- v engage for a performance
Her agent had booked her for several concerts in Tokyo
- v arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance
The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family
- v record a charge in a police register
The policeman booked her when she tried to solicit a man
- v register in a hotel booker
- On the ground floor of the White House there is a big room lined with large, locked, glass-fronted bookcases.
- Lisle Bell has probably reviewed more books than anyone in the world.
- In his new book, talk-show host and multiple sclerosis sufferer Montel Williams says the key to good health is Mother-knows-best common sense.
News & Articles
- Book Giveaway: Fermented Foods For Health
This fabulous book from colleague extraordinaire has just hit the shelves. It’s timely, well-researched, full of vital information and healing recipes AND we’re giving away a copy! FERMENTED FOODS FOR HEALTH Use the Power of Probiotic Foods to Improve Your Digestion, Strengthen Your Immunity, and Prevent Illness by Deirdre Rawlings We advocate eating fermented foods as a part [...]
June 18, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Book Review: Brainwashed
Brainwashed, by Sally Satel and Scott O Lilienfeld. Basic Books. I wanted to dislike this book. You see, I was suspicious of the fact that one of the authors is a resident scholar with the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), an organization whose political values I oppose, and, insofar as it's an organization with political values, has little business going near science. Then, when I found that ...
June 18, 2013 - Discover
- Book News: VICE Draws Ire By Staging Female Author Suicides
The anonymous book sculptor of Edinburgh strikes again; the childhood drawings of E.E. Cummings; Jonathan Franzen on literary sexism.
June 18, 2013 - NPR
- Larry King in SmarTrend News
The 76-year-old announced the decision on his blog: "I want to share some personal news with you," King wrote. "I'm incredibly proud that we recently made the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest-running show with the same...
- James Patterson in The Associated Press
Patterson says: "If e-books get people who might otherwise not be reading to pick up a book, then that makes me happy."
- Ricky Martin in AFP
From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time,Martin wrote on his website.