- n anything (such as a document or a phonograph record or a photograph) providing permanent evidence of or information about past events
the film provided a valuable record of stage techniques
- n sound recording consisting of a disk with a continuous groove; used to reproduce music by rotating while a phonograph needle tracks in the groove
- n the number of wins versus losses and ties a team has had
at 9-0 they have the best record in their league
- n the sum of recognized accomplishments
the lawyer has a good record
the track record shows that he will be a good president
- n a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone
Al Smith used to say, `Let's look at the record'
his name is in all the record books
- n an extreme attainment; the best (or worst) performance ever attested (as in a sport)
he tied the Olympic record
coffee production last year broke all previous records
Chicago set the homicide record
- n a document that can serve as legal evidence of a transaction
they could find no record of the purchase
- n a list of crimes for which an accused person has been previously convicted
he ruled that the criminal record of the defendant could not be disclosed to the court
the prostitute had a record a mile long
- v make a record of; set down in permanent form
- v register electronically
They recorded her singing
- v indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
- v be aware of
- v be or provide a memorial to a person or an event
- In addition, records are "factory-sealed" for protection against being played by record-shop disk jockeys.
- No records will be released right away.
- He went a record-breaking 17 minutes without breathing, thanks to intensive training, stamina and some lucky human evolution.
News & Articles
- Record crop forecast sends corn prices lower
Record crop forecast sends corn prices lower Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 1:12 pm, Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Corn prices ended sharply lower Wednesday after the Department of Agriculture predicted a record crop and large supplies of the grain. Scott Strand, a market ...
June 15, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Man with record of unpaid meal bills now dining in jail
An unpaid $70 dinner bill -- plus a record of walking out on previous meal bills -- has landed an Illinois man in jail for three years.
June 15, 2013 - CNN
- Record number turn down wedding roles
A record number of people are turning down invitations to be a part of a wedding party, the Inquisitr reported....
June 13, 2013 - FOX 13 Utah
- Joe Barton in The Associated Press
I want the record to be absolutely clear that I think BP is responsible for this accident,he said. "If anything I said this morning has been misconstrued, in opposite effect, I want to apologize for that misconstruction."
- Barack Obama in Xinhua
I will seek somebody with a sharp and independent mind and a record of excellence and integrity. I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't just about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a casebook,Obama said.
- Barry Bonds in MLive.com
This record is not tainted at all. At all. Period,Bonds said.