moderate : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who takes a position in the political center
- v preside over
John moderated the discussion
- v make less fast or intense
moderate your speed
- v lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits
moderate your alcohol intake
- v make less severe or harsh
He moderated his tone when the students burst out in tears
- v make less strong or intense; soften
- v restrain
- a being within reasonable or average limits; not excessive or extreme
a moderate income
a moderate fine
a moderate estimate
a moderate eater
a kitchen of moderate size
the X-ray showed moderate enlargement of the heart
- s not extreme
a moderate penalty
- s marked by avoidance of extravagance or extremes
moderate in his demands
- Thirty minutes of moderate activity a day won't cut it if you're trying to lose weight, a new study says.
- From left: Justin Sullivan Getty; Aude Guerrucci Pool Getty; Scott Olson Getty Which is probably why President Barack Obama has gone out of his way to court these moderates .
- At a time when the GOP is shrinking more to its conservative base, the popular and moderate Florida governor offers the party a real opportunity and dilemma.
News & Articles
- Moderate rip current risk today along Va., N.C.
The National Weather Service has issued a notice about the moderate risk of rip currents today along Virginia Beach and down to the Outer Banks. The notice is in effect from 8 a.m. through this evening, according to the weather service website. Swimmers who find themselves in a rip current should swim parallel to the shore, then gradually back to the beach.
June 19, 2013 - The Virginian-Pilot
- Could 'Moderate' Drinking Be Safe During Pregnancy?
Title: Could 'Moderate' Drinking Be Safe During Pregnancy? Category: Health News Created: 6/18/2013 10:36:00 AM Last Editorial Review: 6/18/2013 12:00:00 AM
June 19, 2013 - MedicineNet.com
- Moderate drinking during pregnancy does not seem to harm baby's neurodevelopment
Moderate drinking during pregnancy -- 3 to 7 glasses of alcohol a week -- does not seem to harm fetal neurodevelopment, as indicated by the child's ability to balance, suggests a large study published in the online only journal BMJ Open.
June 17, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Ben Bernanke in Seattle Post Intelligencer
For now policy seems well positioned to promote moderate growth and price stability over time,Bernanke said.
- Lord Falconer of Thoroton in Telegraph.co.uk
Although the pandemic appears to have moderate severity in comparatively well-off countries, it is prudent to anticipate a bleaker picture as the virus spreads to areas with limited resources, poor health care, and a high prevalence of underlying... Margaret Chan http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Chan&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHSUPc4zFZyYYS6jVCTUnvFbp5bSA Arab News http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.arabnews.com/%3Fpage%3D4%26section%3D0%26article%3D123564%26d%3D12%26m%3D6%26y%3D2009&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEHW6jhvThbMibcDwbaQ5-_dfzlQw Jun 11, 2009
64557 85773 moderately Lord Falconer, a close friend of Tony Blair, said: I think we are moving moderately quickly towards the need for a change and that change may be a change in leadership. We need unity above all. Can we get unity under the current leadership? I am...