- n a sudden outburst of anger
his temper sparked like damp firewood
- n a characteristic (habitual or relatively temporary) state of feeling
whether he praised or cursed me depended on his temper at the time
- n a disposition to exhibit uncontrolled anger
his temper was well known to all his employees
- n the elasticity and hardness of a metal object; its ability to absorb considerable energy before cracking
- v bring to a desired consistency, texture, or hardness by a process of gradually heating and cooling
- v harden by reheating and cooling in oil
- v adjust the pitch (of pianos)
- v make more temperate, acceptable, or suitable by adding something else; moderate
she tempered her criticism
- v restrain
- Turf wars, temper tantrums, mysterious leakshas Bush lost control of his own government?.
- Diplomats and journalists insist as much on his charm as they do on his temper tantrums.
- McCain also tells a psychiatrist that among the benefits of his POW experience "he learned to control his temper better, to not become angry over insignificant things.
News & Articles
- Fatherly advice as we celebrate dads
There was a little boy with a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him, every time he lost his temper, to hammer a nail in the back fence. The first week the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. It gradually dwindled down as he discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.
June 16, 2013 - Coeur d'Alene Press
- MLS 2013, Week 16 preview and fixtures: Time to kill off a character
International absences are still dealing blows to MLS matches (unless you're the Revolution and Jerry Bengtson threw a temper tantrum because Honduras didn't start him so he returned to the club), which coincides wonderfully with the league's midseason lull. Isn't this around the time when they kill off a character (Chivas)? Portland Timbers vs. FC Dallas Saturday, 5 p.m. ET - ESPN Blas Perez ...
June 15, 2013 - SB Nation
- Soccer-FIFA investigates Mascherano's bizarre sending off
ZURICH, June 14 (Reuters) - FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Argentina captain Javier Mascherano after he was sent off for kicking the driver of a medical cart in a World Cup qualifier against Ecuador on Tuesday. The Barcelona midfielder was shown a red card by Paraguayan referee Enrique Caceres with four minutes to go in Quito after the player lost his temper and shouted at the ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- James Dobson in Seattle Post Intelligencer
The Rev. James Dobson, head of the conservative Focus on Family, denounced McCain as a man who has "gone out of his way to stick his thumb in the eyes" of party conservatives, and called McCain a man of "legendary temper (who) often uses foul...
- Adm William Fallon in International Herald Tribune
I think that we would probably be wise to temper our expectations here, that the likelihood that Iraq is suddenly going to turn into something that looks close to what we enjoy here in this country is going to be a long time coming,Fallon said.
- Thad Cochran in Washington Post
The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine,Cochran said about McCain by phone. "He is erratic. He is hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me."