- n a seat for one person, with a support for the back
he put his coat over the back of the chair and sat down
- n the position of professor
he was awarded an endowed chair in economics
- n the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization
address your remarks to the chairperson
- n an instrument of execution by electrocution; resembles an ordinary seat for one person
the murderer was sentenced to die in the chair
- n a particular seat in an orchestra
he is second chair violin
- v act or preside as chair, as of an academic department in a university
She chaired the department for many years
- v preside over
- He walked grinning to the chair, told one of the guards that one of the electrodes against his leg did not seem tight enough, and he died.
- Are they "musical" chairs (the tall backs look like tuning forks)? Do they suggest that anyone could be in any chair at any time? Do they represent the normal and unthinkable at .
- Democratic chair: Robert Byrd, West Virginia Effect of change: Not much.
News & Articles
- 'It's a lawn chair waiting to fly'
Joe Barbera is going sit back in his lawn chair, fill up some balloons, and soar 12,000 feet into the air.
June 22, 2013 - KATU Portland
- Cotton Chair Advisory Council at Texas A&M hears latest in research, engineering developments
Writer: Blair Fannin, 979-845-2259, email@example.com Contact: Dr. Calvin Parnell, 979-845-3985, firstname.lastname@example.org COLLEGE STATION – The Cotton Chair Advisory Council meeting at Texas A&M University recently yielded several research presentations and demonstrations showcasing the latest in cotton and related engineering work. The Cotton Chair Advisory Council advises Chair and Regents ...
June 21, 2013 - Texas A&M AgNews
- Angola names president's son to chair $5 bln sovereign wealth fund
LISBON (Reuters) - Angola on Friday appointed one of President Jose Eduardo dos Santos' sons to chair its $5 billion sovereign wealth fund, a move likely to raise further questions about transparency and nepotism in Africa's second-biggest oil producer. Angola launched the fund in October to invest in domestic and overseas assets by funnelling oil wealth into infrastructure, hotels and other ...
June 21, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Mike Huckabee in International Herald Tribune
I have managed four major pieces of legislation through Congress; served as chair and acting Chair of two major Senate committees, placing me at the center of the two most importance issues of our time - health care and reform of financial... Chris Dodd http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Dodd&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEH6KhTelit2c6abwwfkW8cWFajOg BusinessWeek http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-06/dodd-won-t-seek-re-election-to-u-s-senate-after-five-terms.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFJvrNtBWXc_Zi5fTRrfjbr2uVOjA Jan 6, 2010
16474 22968 chair Hearing a loud noise and interrupting his speech, Huckabee said: That was Barack Obama. He just tripped off a chair. He's getting ready to speak and somebody aimed a gun at him and he - he dove for the floor."
- Ruth Padel in New Zealand Herald
Padel said she would no longer take up the post: "I wish to do what is best for the university and I understand that opinion there is divided. I therefore resign from the chair of poetry. I hope wounds will now heal and I wish the next professor all...