- v be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance
- v be valid, applicable, or true
- v continue to exist
- v prove superior
The champion prevailed, though it was a hard fight
- v use persuasion successfully
He prevailed upon her to visit his parents
- The caucus could not prevail over the recalcitrant legislators therefore the the motion was defeated convincingly.
- Fatefully, such amity did not prevail at a laboratory over at King's College, London, where a woman named Rosalind Franklin was creating the world's best X-ray diffraction pictures .
- Here is one optimist's reason for believing unity will prevail over disunity, integration over disintegration.
News & Articles
- Fair Grove Aldermen President: Maybe Cooler Heads Will Prevail
Fair Grove's aldermen president says perhaps cooler heads can prevail now that a judge has granted Mayor Tim Smith an injunction. Aldermen had decided to remove him from office.
June 15, 2013 - KTTS 94.7
- Istanbul's 2020 bid addresses unrest
Leaders of Istanbul's bid for the 2020 Olympics say ''the voice of tolerance'' will prevail after the civil unrest that has roiled Turkey over the past two weeks and raised questions about the country's readiness to host the games.
June 15, 2013 - Fox Sports
- Assad may prevail in Syria's civil war-Israeli minister
By Dan Williams JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, backed by Iran and Lebanon's Hezbollah, may prevail in the more than two-year-old uprising against him, Israel's intelligence minister said on Monday. Though the assessment was quickly disavowed by others in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's coalition government, it reflected the difficulties facing Israel and Western ...
June 10, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
Those who seek to block any reform at all, any reform at any cost, will not prevail this time around,Obama said.
- President Bush in USA Today
I come with an upbeat message, a hopeful message -- a message that will prevail here in the Middle East,Bush said.
- John McCain in MyFox Kansas City
I am acutely aware that I cannot succeed in that endeavor, nor can our party prevail over the challenge we will face from either Sen. Clinton or Sen. Obama, without the support of dedicated conservatives,McCain said in prepared remarks to the...