- n pain caused by venous swelling at or inside the anal sphincter
- n a large number or amount
- n a collection of objects laid on top of each other
- n (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
- n a large sum of money (especially as pay or profit)
- n fine soft dense hair (as the fine short hair of cattle or deer or the wool of sheep or the undercoat of certain dogs)
- n battery consisting of voltaic cells arranged in series; the earliest electric battery devised by Volta
- n a column of wood or steel or concrete that is driven into the ground to provide support for a structure
- n the yarn (as in a rug or velvet or corduroy) that stands up from the weave
- n a nuclear reactor that uses controlled nuclear fission to generate energy
- v arrange in stacks
- v press tightly together or cram
- v place or lay as if in a pile
- Outside the compulsively groomed resort areas, garbage grows in small piles on the side of streets on the island's growing urban areas, festering in the tropical sun.
- Women squat behind piles of vegetables they will carry to distant neighborhoods for a tiny profit.
- It consists of warm tortillas and potato omelets, piles of percebes (gooseneck barnacles), llmpares (snail-like mollusks), and centollos (gigantic spider crabs).
News & Articles
- Flood plan would pile tons of rocks at Brannon Island park
California water officials are moving to store large piles of rock and sand in key locations throughout the Delta, including Brannan Island state park, as part of a broader effort to improve flood response.
June 19, 2013 - The Sacramento Bee
- Aid & comfort
Aid & comfort Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 12:58 pm, Tuesday, June 18, 2013 First aid training can help you cope with everything from sunburn to serious injury The warm weather is bringing the nature enthusiasts out for remote hikes, while teenagers search under those piles of ...
June 19, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- It's going to get louder; Pile driving begins at Barton Pump Station on Fauntleroy
Information from King County Starting as early as Wednesday, June 19, crews will need to install additional steel sheet piles in order to complete soil stabilization work at the Barton Pump Station. As crews install the sheet piles, there will be a temporary closure of the north ferry entrance lane and toll booth on Thursday, June 20. The lane is expected to be re-opened by 3:30 p.m. but could ...
June 18, 2013 - West Seattle Herald
- Dino Rossi in International Herald Tribune
Unless we send the Navy down deep to blow up the well and cover the leak with piles and piles and piles of rock and debris, which may become necessary ...... unless we are going to do that, we are dependent on the technical expertise of these... Bill Clinton http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFQgtnAfN-Gd8ODTfDdWrRjwwjDZg Reuters (press release) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6611RF20100702&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFQoleqaMPEfrZdgiACNbTZY4x_tQ Jul 2, 2010
74560 100302 piles In the past four years of Gregoire's administration, she has left us with piles of debt, higher taxes and rising unemployment," Rossi said.
- Stavros Dimas in International Herald Tribune
The piles of uncollected rubbish in the streets of Campania graphically illustrate the threat to the environment and human health that results when waste management is inadequate,Stavros Dimas, the European Union's environment commissioner,...