- n a column of wood or steel or concrete that is driven into the ground to provide support for a structure
- n a plug used to close a hole in a barrel or flask
- Last winter, during a gale that only two other dinghy skippers would risk their boats in, she hit a mooring spile, had to be rescued.
- The argyments continue up to ee-lection night, when Benjamin Harrison beats out Grover (hope that don't spile the suspense none).
News & Articles
- State parks have sweet offering for spring
ST. PAUL - Minnesota state parks plan to teach people how to make maple syrup this spring. Naturalists will demonstrate the process at free programs in March and early April, according to the Department of Natural Resources. "We'll teach you how to identify the right kind of tree, drill a hole for a spile, collect sap in a bucket and then boil it until it's tasty enough to pour on your pancakes ...
Feb. 25, 2014 - Brainerd Dispatch
- Volunteers Learn to Tap Maple Trees
A child inserts a spile into a tree stump which in a living tree would then drain the sap, during the Maple Syrup Festival, at the Indian Creek Nature Center, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on Sunday, March 4, 2012. Families gathered to learn how to identify a maple tree, how to tap the tree, as well as how to boil the sap into syrup.
Feb. 24, 2014 - KCRG-TV9 Cedar Rapids