- n a United States youth subculture of the 1950s; rejected possessions or regular work or traditional dress; for communal living and psychedelic drugs and anarchism; favored modern forms of jazz (e.g., bebop)
- n a regular route for a sentry or policeman
- n the rhythmic contraction and expansion of the arteries with each beat of the heart
- n the basic rhythmic unit in a piece of music
- n a single pulsation of an oscillation produced by adding two waves of different frequencies; has a frequency equal to the difference between the two oscillations
- n a member of the beat generation; a nonconformist in dress and behavior
- n the sound of stroke or blow
- n (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
- n a regular rate of repetition
- n a stroke or blow
the signal was two beats on the steam pipe
- n the act of beating to windward; sailing as close as possible to the direction from which the wind is blowing
- v come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- v give a beating to; subject to a beating, either as a punishment or as an act of aggression
- v hit repeatedly
- v move rhythmically
- v shape by beating
- v make a rhythmic sound
- v glare or strike with great intensity
- v move with a thrashing motion
- v sail with much tacking or with difficulty
- v stir vigorously
- v strike (a part of one's own body) repeatedly, as in great emotion or in accompaniment to music
- v be superior
Reading beats watching television
This sure beats work!
- v avoid paying
- v make a sound like a clock or a timer
- v move with a flapping motion
- v indicate by beating, as with the fingers or drumsticks
- v move with or as if with a regular alternating motion
- v make by pounding or trampling
- v produce a rhythm by striking repeatedly
- v strike (water or bushes) repeatedly to rouse animals for hunting
- v beat through cleverness and wit
- v be a mystery or bewildering to
This beats me!
- v wear out completely
- In a land where roads are often busted, rutted or simply nonexistent, nothing beats a bike for getting medicine to the people and people to the hospital.
- Asked which candidate is most likeable, Obama beats McCain 65% to 20%; as for which is the real candidate for change, he leads 61% to 17%.
- A man beats his wife in any one of 47 states.
News & Articles
- Beats By Dre 2013 Neon 'Mixr' Line
Beats By Dre has teamed up with house producer David Guetta for a series of headphones, dubbed Mixr.
June 19, 2013 - Baller Status
- Handle Summer Heat with Handel’s
Nothing beats a refreshing scoop of ice cream on a hot, summer day. Although Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt is open year-round (because no time is a bad time for ice cream), the timing couldn’t be better for one…
June 19, 2013 - Inland Empire Weekly
- State Beats Oregon State at College World Series
Mississippi State Beats Oregon State in a thrilling contest in Omaha
June 16, 2013 - WTOK-TV Meridian
- Wesley Sneijder in The Associated Press
We won every qualifying game, every game here,Sneijder said. "We are not going to allow that Spain beats us now."
- LeBron James in Washington Post
It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them,James said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to...
- Johnny Depp in Vanity Fair
â€¢ Depp says, "I don't think I'd ever seen any place so pure and beautiful. You can feel your pulse rate drop about 20 beats. It's instant freedom."