overreach : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v fail by aiming too high or trying too hard
- v beat through cleverness and wit
- The pundits are already warning that Obama could overreach, that Democratic congressional leaders are still unpopular, that this is still a center-right country.
- It's true, as Brooks writes, that some of Cheney's overreach was a result of understandable panic after the 911 attacks.
- And if Dems are going to overreach, they'd rather it be in the service of trying to achieve a policy goal like universal healthcare or energy reform.
News & Articles
- Sales of '1984' Skyrocket, but Why?
Sales of “1984,” George Orwell’s 1949 classic novel about the oppressiveness of government overreach, have risen over 3,000 percent on Amazon since the country learned of the U.S. government surveillance programs. As of noon today, the book had jumped to 194 on the bestseller list,...
June 11, 2013 - ABC News
- EDITORIAL: It's scary: Uncle Sam knows who's talking to whom
>What was thought to be domestic overreach by the George W. Bush administration in the name of national security now appears to be standard practice under the Obama administration. And to the justified shock of many, the spying goes beyond mass surveillance of Verizon telephone consumers — as originally disclosed — to surveillance of Sprint and AT&T customers and on to major Internet providers ...
June 11, 2013 - Evansville Courier & Press
- New York City lawyers argue to bring back soda ban
By Joseph Ax NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City lawyers tried to convince an appeals court on Tuesday to allow Mayor Michael Bloomberg's ban on large sugary drinks, three months after it was struck down as an illegal overreach of executive power. The law, invalidated a day before it would have taken effect, barred movie theaters, restaurants and other venues from selling sugary drinks larger ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Manmohan Singh in Hindu
The dividing line between judicial activism and judicial overreach is a thin one......A takeover of the functions of another organ may, at times, become a case of overreach,Singh said while inaugurating a conference of chief ministers and...
- George McGovern in Pioneer Press
In an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal on Aug. 8, George McGovern called the EFCA "a disturbing and undemocratic overreach not in the interest of management or labor."