- n a heavy dull sound (as made by impact of heavy objects)
- n a heavy blow with the hand
- v move rhythmically
- v make a dull sound
- v hit hard with the hand, fist, or some heavy instrument
a bible-thumping Southern Baptist
- This one is all about the noises of the city: nine annoying cell phones ringing, eight dogs barking, four b-ball players thump-thump-thumping.
- Because the words get goofier, and the song gets faster, and pretty soon all you hear are echoes of Madonna's voice behind a glossy thump and a grinding guitar hook.
- A few feet later, you feel the thump of a pothole.
News & Articles
- Red Sox thump Giants
The Border Mart Red Sox thumped the Giants 14-4 in Douglas Little Legue juniors play May 21.
June 13, 2013 - Douglas Dispatch
- Crosswords: Truth or Consequences
The thump of the base guitar can be heard before you open the doors to enter the building. Once inside it vibrates the chairs enough to slide them an inch or two to one side if unoccupied. And most are unoccupied, their inhabitants having decided to stand.
June 12, 2013 - ShelbyInfo.com
- Toddler falls through bleachers during graduation
It was a sound that took Joyce Harris' breath from her. "All of the sudden you heard this loud 'thump-thump,'" she said.
June 12, 2013 - CBS 6 Richmond
- Kumar Sangakkara in FOXNews
We were just hearing bullet after bullet thump into the bus. We were hearing gunshots, a few explosions and you could see bullets sometimes hitting a seat,Kumar Sangakkara said.
- John Key in International Herald Tribune
When I got out of the car a couple of young guys tried to thump me,Key said, adding that Waitangi Day was about "dialogue and understanding each others' points of view, not thumping each other."
- Dustin Colquitt in USA Today
My leg was coming through and any time you heard that double thump ...... I didn't see him at all until the last second,said Colquitt, whose punting has been one of the few bright spots for Kansas City. "That double thump is a bad sound."