- n the basic unit of length adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites (approximately 1.094 yards)
- n any of various measuring instruments for measuring a quantity
- n (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
- n rhythm as given by division into parts of equal duration
- v measure with a meter
meter the flow of water
- v stamp with a meter indicating the postage
meter the mail
- Instead, they carted off books, pamphlets, and a collection of electronic gadgets called E-meters.
- Then, swimming the first leg of the men's 400-meter freestyle relay, Michigan's Ken Walsh, 22, was timed in 52.
- At 200 meters Marshall's graceful, reaching strokes still held the margin; whirlpooling into the 250-meter turn he looked like a winner.
News & Articles
- Meet the man who surfs glacier waves
Imagine this: Floating in freezing water for 20 hours a day, over seven excruciating days, beneath a 90-meter iceberg which may or may not collapse on you, crushing you to death.
June 30, 2013 - CNN
- Longtime 1,500-Meter Freestyle Record Falls
Katie Ledecky broke one of the oldest national championship records, finishing the 1,500-meter freestyle in 15 minutes 47.15 seconds in Indianapolis.
June 29, 2013 - New York Times
- Fraser-Pryce to renew 200 rivalry with Jeter
LONDON (AP) -- Two-time Olympic 100-meter champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce will go head to head against world champion Carmelita Jeter on Sunday as the pair renew their sprinting rivalry over 200 meters at the Diamond League meet in Birmingham.
June 29, 2013 - The Associated Press via Yahoo! Sports
- Fernando Alonso in Malaysia Star
Hamilton overtook the safety car, something that I had never seen, overtaking the medical car with yellow flags,Alonso said. "We were a meter off each other, and he finished second and I finished ninth. It's a shame, not for us because...
- Michael Phelps in International Herald Tribune
I just wanted to be out at the 50-meter point and that's where I was,Phelps said. "I was in open water and it was difficult for the other guys to see me."
- Thad Matta in ESPN
This would probably be No. 1 on the impact meter,Matta said. "I thought his rebounding, his challenging shots, finishing at the other end was tremendous."